Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Messed up windows, need Knoppix to recover.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1

    Messed up windows, need Knoppix to recover.

    Yeah I know this has been asked a million times, but I just don't understand it. I am a Windows guy. These kernel's and root's and mounting and unmounting confuses the hell out of me.

    Long story short, I made a typo in my boot.ini file and I Window's won't start. I have the backup boot.ini file (named boot.txt right now). I need to remove the boot.ini file and rename boot.txt to boot.ini. I know there is a filesystem conflict (I am using XP), and I've read of people getting around it.

    I am not worried about ruining the filesystem, because this is a last resort. Recover didn't work for me because I do not know the Admin password. (I didn't create it, and it's not blank. I tried every password i have ever used, didn't work) So if I skrew up the filesystem, I will reformat. If no one helps me with this, I will reformat. My chance of winning is slim.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10

    About the password

    I don't know how much this might help you, but it worth a look, apparently windows passwords aren't brick walls.
    I hope this help :http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1045170553

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    ok. I am a little confused by what exactly you are trying to achieve here. First, I think I remember that XP runs on the NTFS filesystem. If so, you should not be able to write on it with Knoppix (I think there is an unsafe hack which makes this possible, but I don't know it). If you just want to only access your data and copy it, Knoppix will do this with no problem. You can copy it to a floppy or a CD with a burner. Does this answer your question?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    Easy way oot

    If you dont care about a short error message when you start up XP just deleat boot.ini i accedently did this during adding a pic to my boot. XP works around and boots without it.

Similar Threads

  1. Messed up monitor after using Knoppix.
    By audax.a in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 03:22 AM
  2. i think i messed up windows...
    By rossndahood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 09:41 PM
  3. Installed windows and grub was messed up
    By emmbec in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 09:52 AM
  4. using knoppix to try to recover windows files
    By richpodraza in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 04:37 AM
  5. Using Knoppix to Recover Windows 98
    By raven in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99