Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Failed poor man's install with w32grub on NTFS

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    Failed poor man's install with w32grub on NTFS

    Hi; this really is a sequel to the "Poor Man's Install Not Working in version 7-26"
    thread from the "general support" forum, which has gotten a tad longish.

    I've downloaded garyng's patched grub for NTFS from
    http://www.skyjammer.com/files/knoppix

    I've tried to install and use it, but all I get is a an apparent hangup while
    "GRUB Loading stage2 ..." is being displayed.

    My disk setup is the following:
    • scsi sd0 holds[list:3cc16eb3b5]
      C: 7gb NTFS
      D: 9gb NTFS

    scsi sd1 holds
    • E: 7gb NTFS
      F: 4gb NTFS
      X: 1gb fat32
      Z: 100mb fat32
    [/list:u:3cc16eb3b5]
    The X: drive holds a copy of the clooped knoppix filesystem, which is found
    without any problem when booting from diskette. I'd like to reuse this "poor
    man's install" using w32grub instead of a floppy. I have unzipped gary's file
    under C:\, then copied the vmlinuz and miniroot.gz from my boot floppy to
    C:\boot and referred to these in an edited C:\boot\grub\menu.lst, which
    has been apparently used with no error message by w32grub.exe

    As shown above, the NT boot loader seems to find stage1 OK, but then grub
    itself hangs during stage2 (and shows no menu, btw).
    I've tried disabling lba32 emulation as suggested in the grub FAQ for some
    SCSI controllers but this has not helped.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    when you run w32grub, there should be some message pumping out, may I have a look ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Hi Gary, here's what I see:
    • C:\boot\grub>C:\boot\grub\w32grub.exe
      stage1(11336301)
      version=3.2
      boot_drive=ff
      force_lba=0
      stage2_address=0x8000
      stage2_sector=11336301
      stage2_segment=0x800
      stage2(11336301+223)
      menu (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst

    and here's my menu.lst::
    • # Boot automatically after a minute.
      timeout 60

      # By default, boot the second entry.
      default 1

      # Fallback to the first entry.
      fallback 0

      title Windows NT
      unhide (hd0,0)
      rootnoverify (hd0,0)
      chainloader +1

      # For booting Linux
      title Knoppix
      root (hd0,0)
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz
      initrd /boot/miniroot.gz

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    looks perfectly fine for me as far as w32grub goes. Would you try to 'delete' or 'mv' menu.lst somewhere to see if you can see the GRUB shell(command line).

    BTW, you can add "-i a:" to install a GRUB shell to a floppy. This would at least tell you if it is the menu searching process failed or the stage2 loading failed.

    Because I only have one machine here, I cannot do much test but I have tried on two different HD(one busted recently) on both FAT and NTFS and both works fine, though mine is only cheapo IDE and not SCSI.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    I renamed menu.lst to menu.knx, but did not get any prompt (still hangs).
    Then I installed grub to floppy. This one boots, but I don't know what to type !-{
    This is NT4, btw. Thanks for your help.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    um, strange.

    at the GRUB prompt you can say:

    root (hd,0)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    or

    'help' to see a list of commands

    you can install GRUB at the prompt but I would advice you to read the manual on their site or some of those HOWTOs.

    I have no idea why it stuck at the end of stage2 as it should be pretty straight forward by just reading in sector by sector and the log of w32grub shows that everything is fine.

    Sorry can't help any further.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    root (hd,0)
    works fine, correctly reports ntfs

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    fails with "Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure"

    Don't mean to bug you, just to report the outcome of your suggestions.
    Anyway this is my workstation at work, which I won't touch for another 3 days!

    Cheers,

    bald.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    root (hd,0)
    works fine, correctly reports ntfs

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    fails with "Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure"

    Don't mean to bug you, just to report the outcome of your suggestions.
    Anyway this is my workstation at work, which I won't touch for another 3 days!

    Cheers,

    bald.
    oops, that is something beyond me. Seems that the NTFS file system code doesn't like what it sees. Unfortunately, that is not something I am able fix as I only grab someone's code and glue the stuff together and knows very little(none actually) about the inner work of the file system code.

    Thanks for the efforts to test it out and letting me know.

    Just in case you are interested,

    http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnudoc/gr...e2-errors.html

    which you can see that it indicates some 'bugs'. This is not surprisng given that all the open source NTFS stuff are hacks and Microsoft changes its structure among versions. I remembered that its early day NTFS loader(NT 3.x) cannot properly handle later version of NTFS and they still just call it NTFS.

Similar Threads

  1. Floppy for Poor Man's Install?
    By bigkahuna in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 08:22 PM
  2. my poor man's install setup
    By probono in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:34 PM
  3. USB Thumbdrive/keychain NTFS ISO boot/Poor Man's Install
    By semreh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 10:07 AM
  4. How To boot without CD after Poor Man's Install
    By prehis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 04:44 AM
  5. Poor man's install???
    By Obsidian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM picture

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM

$286.00



Lot of 4 Samsung 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133P -RE0-10 M393A1G43DB0-CPB0Q picture

Lot of 4 Samsung 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133P -RE0-10 M393A1G43DB0-CPB0Q

$80.00



Lot of 45 Assorted DDR3 16GB DIMM ECC RAM Memory Modules 1000s MHz picture

Lot of 45 Assorted DDR3 16GB DIMM ECC RAM Memory Modules 1000s MHz

$674.99



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 DIMM White picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 DIMM White

$75.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00