Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
Quote Originally Posted by garyng
root (hd,0)
works fine, correctly reports ntfs

Quote Originally Posted by garyng
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
fails with "Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure"

Don't mean to bug you, just to report the outcome of your suggestions.
Anyway this is my workstation at work, which I won't touch for another 3 days!

Cheers,

bald.
oops, that is something beyond me. Seems that the NTFS file system code doesn't like what it sees. Unfortunately, that is not something I am able fix as I only grab someone's code and glue the stuff together and knows very little(none actually) about the inner work of the file system code.

Thanks for the efforts to test it out and letting me know.

Just in case you are interested,

http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnudoc/gr...e2-errors.html

which you can see that it indicates some 'bugs'. This is not surprisng given that all the open source NTFS stuff are hacks and Microsoft changes its structure among versions. I remembered that its early day NTFS loader(NT 3.x) cannot properly handle later version of NTFS and they still just call it NTFS.