Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Sharing Files With A Windows Machine

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Sharing Files With A Windows Machine

    Hi,

    I am having serious troubles tring to get this to share files with my windows machines. I want to be able to see this from windows network. I tried the samba start code but it didnt work. The problem was it did not accept my password when I set it in "smbpasswd -a knoppix" or with any other name I tried to use.It tells me it failed due to 0660 permissions /samba/password is read only. I can see the Knoppix machine in windows when I search for Knoppix in the network neighborhood. But when it asks me to log in I just get stumped. theuser and pass never work.

    Thanks in advance forall the help!!!!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1
    Did you try using your Knoppix user name and password? Also give LinNeighbourhood a whirl in Knoppix and set mc as the file manager from which to view your files on your Windows machine from Knoppix. It works for me .
    Good luck cobber. Oh I'm only a novice so you don't need to take my advice if you feel so. :P

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Use 'Lineighbourhood'

    Then add machine directly on IP (not the name !)
    specify the user and password of the W2K,XP,NT client.

    Rightckick on the computer appearing and browse again with the user and password of the W2K,XP,NT client.
    Now you'll see the shares (even system shares ).

    That's accessing to a windoze share.
    (you could use the command 'smbmount' too )

    Sharing your linux is something else.

    I use the FTP server (together with ssh server).
    Code:
     passwd Knoppix
     sudo rm /etc/hosts.deny
     sudo rm /etc/hosts.allow
     sudo /etc/init.d/inetd restart
     sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start
    Read out your ip by typing 'ifconfig'
    On the windoze FTP client I use Filezilla (from http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/ )
    On the windoze ssh client I use putty ( http://www.putty.nl/download.html )

Similar Threads

  1. Sharing Folders to a Windows LAN machine
    By dprobert in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 08:44 PM
  2. Windows Machine Name = what in linux?
    By brianp in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 04:07 AM
  3. Knoppix - windows file sharing
    By shiva_iitm in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 08:02 AM
  4. Knoppix 3.4 and Windows XP File Sharing
    By spartyguy in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 04:36 PM
  5. Sharing files
    By WT in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2002, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot Of (12) SKhynix 8Gb DDR4-3200AA Desktop Pc Ram/Memory (Used) picture

Lot Of (12) SKhynix 8Gb DDR4-3200AA Desktop Pc Ram/Memory (Used)

$399.99



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B picture

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B

$299.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39