-
hd install on existing linux box
Hello,
I have an existing linux box that I want to install Knoppix onto. Does knx-hdinstall wipe the partitions it installs into?
Specifically, I have an existing redhat box with /home part of the / filesystem. i.e., one filesystem to rule them all. I don't want my home directories to be wiped out, but I don't care about things in /bin, /usr, /etc, and so on.
If I boot knoppix, mount my current hard disk, and rm -rf everything except /home, will knx-hdinstall wipe out my /home anyway?
Thanks.
-
Forgot this bit: I also have a windows installation for dual boot (don't worry, I only use it a few times a year) So my partition table looks like this:
/dev/hda1 windows (fat32)
/dev/hda2 /boot (ext3)
/dev/hda3 swap
/dev/hda5 / (ext3)
I don't want hda1 touched. I don't want /home in hda5 touched. Can knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer do this?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
bactram
I don't want hda1 touched. I don't want /home in hda5 touched.
Can knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer do this?
knx-hdinstall cannot but knoppix-installer should.
I think you need to run it, save the config, quit, edit the .knofig file where
you can instruct it to use several partitiions instead of lumping everything
under / (follow the comments in the file itself). Then restart the install script
with this edited config.
Caveat: that's my understanding but I have never actually tried this myself.
Not the multl-partitions install, I mean; the script itself worked fine on one
4Gb root partition, and offers nice enhancements over knx-hdinstall.
Similar Threads
-
By Bruce Erlichman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-14-2005, 05:53 PM
-
By lilpaul in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
-
By mmw1231 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-24-2004, 02:18 AM
-
By justmyskin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-19-2004, 12:16 AM
-
By hughmax in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage
$79.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00