Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: hd install on existing linux box

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3

    hd install on existing linux box

    Hello,

    I have an existing linux box that I want to install Knoppix onto. Does knx-hdinstall wipe the partitions it installs into?

    Specifically, I have an existing redhat box with /home part of the / filesystem. i.e., one filesystem to rule them all. I don't want my home directories to be wiped out, but I don't care about things in /bin, /usr, /etc, and so on.

    If I boot knoppix, mount my current hard disk, and rm -rf everything except /home, will knx-hdinstall wipe out my /home anyway?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    Forgot this bit: I also have a windows installation for dual boot (don't worry, I only use it a few times a year) So my partition table looks like this:

    /dev/hda1 windows (fat32)
    /dev/hda2 /boot (ext3)
    /dev/hda3 swap
    /dev/hda5 / (ext3)

    I don't want hda1 touched. I don't want /home in hda5 touched. Can knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer do this?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by bactram
    I don't want hda1 touched. I don't want /home in hda5 touched.
    Can knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer do this?
    knx-hdinstall cannot but knoppix-installer should.
    I think you need to run it, save the config, quit, edit the .knofig file where
    you can instruct it to use several partitiions instead of lumping everything
    under / (follow the comments in the file itself). Then restart the install script
    with this edited config.

    Caveat: that's my understanding but I have never actually tried this myself.
    Not the multl-partitions install, I mean; the script itself worked fine on one
    4Gb root partition, and offers nice enhancements over knx-hdinstall.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix and an existing Linux drive?
    By Bruce Erlichman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 05:53 PM
  2. Mounting Existing Linux Partitions
    By lilpaul in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
  3. Use Knoppix to install pkgs. on existing debian-based Linux?
    By mmw1231 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2004, 02:18 AM
  4. need to add new files to existing live linux cdom.
    By justmyskin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 12:16 AM
  5. How to run an existing linux program via knoppix
    By hughmax in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5  2x6248R  24 core 3.0G   24x64g DDR4-2933 ram picture

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram

$112000.00



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08