-
screen blanking on boot
I get "You passed an unefined mode number", then I pick one from the menu, then I see booting the kernel, then it goes black.
I've tried setting screen=800x600 and fb800x600 and knoppix-txt and nothing fixes it.
I'm using a Micron Millennia Transport laptop.
-
Senior Member
registered user
What video card does your laptop use?
-
sAme prob
i am running ( or more like trying to run) damn smll linux ( knoppix remastered) and i get the same prolem
the kernel loads i think but it just goes black
on both laptop toshiba p133
and a desktop with an sis chipset
please help
-
SAME PROBLEM
My Sager NP4760 laptop:
Chipset: SiS M650/962
ATI Radeon Mobility 9000
PhoenixBIOS
There are major problems between linux kernels and this laptop. The newest version of Mandrake's kernel that will load is 2.4-8, THAT'S MDK 8.1!!!
2.4.22 black screen when kernel loads (like right after you push enter when the CD boots)
2.4.21 same thing with the exception of Severn (Redhat beta)
2.4.20 this works. CoolLinux, SuSE8.2, Slackware 9.0, and every other distro/version with a 2.4.20 kernel with 1 exception, and I forget what that exception is
2.4.19 doesn't work, black screen thing where system just dies
KNOPPIX 3.1-3.3 will not work
however MEPIS works perfectly, including my Orinoco WLAN card, and is totally awesome. I'm currently using SuSE 8.2 and I don't really like it
-
Junior Member
registered user
I got knoppix to run to some degree on my Micron XPe, P166 32Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD by using the knoppix noscsi option. However the splashscreen still screwed up my video.
I've real success with feather linux (knoppix remaster) vesa, 800x600 16bit depth, on this machine. you might try that with the same options. BTW nousb and noagp free up a shade of memory.
-
Re: screen blanking on boot

Originally Posted by
edraven
I get "You passed an unefined mode number", then I pick one from the menu, then I see booting the kernel, then it goes black.
I've tried setting screen=800x600 and fb800x600 and knoppix-txt and nothing fixes it.
I'm using a Micron Millennia Transport laptop.
Hi!
I'm just now trying to load Knoppix 3.3 on a Texas Instruments TravelMate 6160 (Pentium 166).
After booting, I've also experienced the same blank screen, with 1 line of flashing (illegible) colour and text at the top. I tried different modes, (and different switches as listed in the cheats file) and finally just pressed Return, to continue loading with the default.
I tried lots of different key combinations then, and found out I could "restore" the correct display by pressing the left-hand Shift and Ctrl keys (press Shift, hold it down, press Ctrl). It works in the opposite sequence too! The display is then perfect for 1 minute, and then disappears again. I've done this multiple times as I type this message!
I'm waiting to see if Knoppix loads and runs: the mouse is working 
See if that works for you.
Duncan
-
Re: screen blanking on boot
This is a follow-up to my previous message today on laptop black screen on booting.
If the display keeps disappearing during booting, you can also hold down Shift & Ctrl to force display of the messages displayed, so you can keep an eye on the booting status.
Duncan

Originally Posted by
Duncan R. Bell

Originally Posted by
edraven
I get "You passed an unefined mode number", then I pick one from the menu, then I see booting the kernel, then it goes black.
I've tried setting screen=800x600 and fb800x600 and knoppix-txt and nothing fixes it.
I'm using a Micron Millennia Transport laptop.
Hi!
I'm just now trying to load Knoppix 3.3 on a Texas Instruments TravelMate 6160 (Pentium 166).
After booting, I've also experienced the same blank screen, with 1 line of flashing (illegible) colour and text at the top. I tried different modes, (and different switches as listed in the cheats file) and finally just pressed Return, to continue loading with the default.
I tried lots of different key combinations then, and found out I could "restore" the correct display by pressing the left-hand Shift and Ctrl keys (press Shift, hold it down, press Ctrl). It works in the opposite sequence too! The display is then perfect for 1 minute, and then disappears again. I've done this multiple times as I type this message!
I'm waiting to see if Knoppix loads and runs: the mouse is working
See if that works for you.
Duncan
-
Senior Member
registered user
You passed an unefined mode number
I get that same error and fixed it by adding cheat code:
johnb
-
Re:
Quote: You passed an unefined mode number
"I get that same error and fixed it by adding cheat code:
Code: knoppix vga=normal " (posted by johnb)
Thanks! That has also worked on my prblematic wee laptop (Pentium 166, Texas Instruments TravelMate 6160).
Currently I can boot the laptop, with this switch:
Code: knoppix vga=normal nopcmcia nousb noapm
The pcmcia card manager has a version problem, and there are no usb ports. Advanced power management is causing the real problem.
Now, however, the text in the menus, when it all finally loads, is pale (yellow?) on white, and I can't read them: I'm going to look in other postings for a solution!
Duncan
[/quote]
-
Senior Member
registered user
right click on the desktop and choose configure desktop. You can change the font colors to you liking and lots of other choices are available.
johnb
Similar Threads
-
By metavoid in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-12-2005, 01:39 PM
-
By mrfuggle in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-13-2005, 03:30 AM
-
By stuart_b in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-26-2004, 12:52 AM
-
By Pasq in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-02-2003, 07:58 PM
-
By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99