I don't know how much this might help you, but it worth a look, apparently windows passwords aren't brick walls.
I hope this help :http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1045170553
Yeah I know this has been asked a million times, but I just don't understand it. I am a Windows guy. These kernel's and root's and mounting and unmounting confuses the hell out of me.
Long story short, I made a typo in my boot.ini file and I Window's won't start. I have the backup boot.ini file (named boot.txt right now). I need to remove the boot.ini file and rename boot.txt to boot.ini. I know there is a filesystem conflict (I am using XP), and I've read of people getting around it.
I am not worried about ruining the filesystem, because this is a last resort. Recover didn't work for me because I do not know the Admin password. (I didn't create it, and it's not blank. I tried every password i have ever used, didn't work) So if I skrew up the filesystem, I will reformat. If no one helps me with this, I will reformat. My chance of winning is slim.
I don't know how much this might help you, but it worth a look, apparently windows passwords aren't brick walls.
I hope this help :http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1045170553
ok. I am a little confused by what exactly you are trying to achieve here. First, I think I remember that XP runs on the NTFS filesystem. If so, you should not be able to write on it with Knoppix (I think there is an unsafe hack which makes this possible, but I don't know it). If you just want to only access your data and copy it, Knoppix will do this with no problem. You can copy it to a floppy or a CD with a burner. Does this answer your question?
If you dont care about a short error message when you start up XP just deleat boot.ini i accedently did this during adding a pic to my boot. XP works around and boots without it.

Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts
$49.78
Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00
Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
NWT Vintage TUMI Safecase Deluxe Adjustable Computer Brief Bag 2632 w/ Sleeve
$449.50
Bering OptiPac 3315 OPT 401 205 HP / IBM Vintage Storage PC Computer 1983 3.5”
$100.00
NCR System 3000 UNIX SVR4 MP-RAS Administrator Guide Manual D1-2266-E Vintage
$200.00
Lot of 4 Vintage Intel i486 DX2 CPU Processors for Gold Scrap Recovery
$99.99
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99