Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Would someone please patch the knoppix kernel with i2c?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    Would someone please patch the knoppix kernel with i2c?

    I'd really like ot work out some hardware monitoring capability, but i2c is holding me up. I can compile a kernel, but seems like there are a lot of special considerations for knoppix's kernel. If there's someone who's got a handle on alterning knoppix's kernel, please make one that has i2c modules that will support most x86 architectures. I know I can't be the only one who wants this....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    If you are running KNOPPIX install to HD, building custom kernel is pretty easy. If you mean a CD based KNOPPIX, it would mean a remastering that IMO is pretty cumbersome(every time Klaus comes out a new CD, the fork needs to follow, pain to maintain).

    Since I use the poorman's install method, I adopt a 'middle of the road' approach as the following :

    1. put the ISO file on the HD
    2. put my custom kernel tree side by side on a ext2 loopback file under the same directory when the ISO goes
    3. extra the boot.img(thus the miniroot.gz) and made modification to the initrc as well as copying the necessary modules to it
    4. boot using my own kernel and at the end of initrc, mount my kernel tree to /lib/modules

    In this way, I can keep up with the packages in KNOPPIX using my own kernel for as long as I want and I can switch kernel easily.

    Of course it sticks to the machine but since the kernel tree is not too large, I believe about 15M compressed, I can put in on a CF(just use one that comes with my digital camera that is useless for that purpose) and I can still carry it around, together with KNOPPIX.

    As for alternative knoppix kernel, my limited experience said that there is no such a thing. A kernel in linux means vmlinuz + ALL files under /lib/modules/`uname -r`(which got burnt into the CD) as a slight change in one of the function address exported by the kernel would make those modules unusable and how these address is in the kernel depends on what compilation option one choose when compiling it and what compiler used as well. So a standard linux kernel is actually 30M+(uncompressed) unless for special one where no module is used(like those special purpose router on a floppy stuff).

    If Klaus can change his arrangement a bit by seperate out the kernel tree from the rest and use a similar approach as mine, it would be easier to 'inject' a custom kernel to KNOPPIX CD as all I need is to build another clooped kernel tree image and use knoppix-customize to replace that in the ISO.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    One of the install alternatives lets you compile the modules outside your kernel source tree (i.e. you don't need to recompile your kernel, you only need its sources) and then install them in the right place. This is how ALSA/nvidia's binary drivers/etc work.

    Maybe scripts a la FabianX could do this....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    One of the install alternatives lets you compile the modules outside your kernel source tree (i.e. you don't need to recompile your kernel, you only need its sources) and then install them in the right place. This is how ALSA/nvidia's binary drivers/etc work.

    Maybe scripts a la FabianX could do this....
    Until now, I still don't know how these binary only module works. I have tried to use the config file of KNOPPIX using supposely the same source tree but the modules are not compatible. I tried to diff the System.map and they are all different.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix-kernel.patch does not work on supplied sources
    By BillS in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 02:25 PM
  2. cloop kernel patch
    By Albert in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 05:26 PM
  3. How do u patch a kernel?
    By Smoke187 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 12:58 AM
  4. Knoppix-kernel.patch
    By ozfrog in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 04:30 PM
  5. Where's the KNOPPIX kernel patch
    By henriquegobbi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00