Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Ramdisk (re)size/adjust size

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2

    Ramdisk (re)size/adjust size

    I have some Java development stuff on an external SCSI drive and actually no files in the /home/knoppix. From time to time Eclipse crashed, same for Konqueror. With 256MB RAM, Knoppix takes a full 199MB for ramdisk. I want to size this down as much as possible because it seems running out of RAM is the reason for the apps crashing?
    I have checked the forum and google but the only cheatcode I found was "mem" which does NOT what I want. I do not want to set how much RAM is visible to Linux but how much of the total is taken up by that ramdisk.
    Maybe someone can tell me how to do that or point me to a useful link!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I don't think you can do it out of the box. There are two options that I can think of :

    1. extract boot.img and miniroot.gz from it then change linuxrc, that is where how large the ram disk is specified.

    2. setup swap space, assuming you have a HD.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Ramdisk (re)size/adjust size

    --The ramdisk should allocate memory dynamically depending on how much data is stored on it; the size reported by 'df' is the *maximum* size. There should be no need to resize it.

    --Try starting ' konqueror ' and eclipse manually from a terminal window, and see what error messages they give when a crash happens. It's not at all uncommon for browsers to crash, sometimes it just happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by hnt
    I have some Java development stuff on an external SCSI drive and actually no files in the /home/knoppix. From time to time Eclipse crashed, same for Konqueror. With 256MB RAM, Knoppix takes a full 199MB for ramdisk. I want to size this down as much as possible because it seems running out of RAM is the reason for the apps crashing?
    I have checked the forum and google but the only cheatcode I found was "mem" which does NOT what I want. I do not want to set how much RAM is visible to Linux but how much of the total is taken up by that ramdisk.
    Maybe someone can tell me how to do that or point me to a useful link!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2

    JVM terminated

    Thanks for the input! Ill try setting up some swap - could have really thought of that one
    I tried to get some error-msg from Eclipse though the error came from the JVM itself (dialog popped up):
    "JVM terminated. Exit code=-1 /usr/bin/java -cp /mnt/sdc2/java/eclipse/./startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 -showsplash [...] -showsplash 600"
    At that time, eclipse was still "running" in the console.
    Once you closed it, eclipse was gone too without any message.
    I let free check mem every 3 seconds, this is the worst output it gave me - that was shortly before JVM hang up.
    Code:
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           250        248          2          0          5         45
    -/+ buffers/cache:        197         53
    Swap:            0          0          0
    Ill just try with some swap now...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: JVM terminated

    Helpful tip - if you are using kDE, it's a resource hog. Try using icewm or other more lightweight WM to save on memory.

    Quote Originally Posted by hnt
    Thanks for the input! Ill try setting up some swap - could have really thought of that one
    I tried to get some error-msg from Eclipse though the error came from the JVM itself (dialog popped up):
    "JVM terminated. Exit code=-1 /usr/bin/java -cp /mnt/sdc2/java/eclipse/./startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 -showsplash [...] -showsplash 600"
    At that time, eclipse was still "running" in the console.
    Once you closed it, eclipse was gone too without any message.
    I let free check mem every 3 seconds, this is the worst output it gave me - that was shortly before JVM hang up.
    Code:
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           250        248          2          0          5         45
    -/+ buffers/cache:        197         53
    Swap:            0          0          0
    Ill just try with some swap now...

Similar Threads

  1. ISO Size
    By jesselong in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 01:24 PM
  2. Size?
    By AP in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 03:36 AM
  3. Possible 9-24 ISO size problem
    By bluegreenone in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:16 AM
  4. image size
    By image in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 02:19 AM
  5. Screen Size
    By CHINAMAN in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 03:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs picture

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs

$49.99



IBM 74Y9340 Cache Battery *NEW* Li-ion picture

IBM 74Y9340 Cache Battery *NEW* Li-ion

$64.00