I don't think you can do it out of the box. There are two options that I can think of :
1. extract boot.img and miniroot.gz from it then change linuxrc, that is where how large the ram disk is specified.
2. setup swap space, assuming you have a HD.
I have some Java development stuff on an external SCSI drive and actually no files in the /home/knoppix. From time to time Eclipse crashed, same for Konqueror. With 256MB RAM, Knoppix takes a full 199MB for ramdisk. I want to size this down as much as possible because it seems running out of RAM is the reason for the apps crashing?
I have checked the forum and google but the only cheatcode I found was "mem" which does NOT what I want. I do not want to set how much RAM is visible to Linux but how much of the total is taken up by that ramdisk.
Maybe someone can tell me how to do that or point me to a useful link!
I don't think you can do it out of the box. There are two options that I can think of :
1. extract boot.img and miniroot.gz from it then change linuxrc, that is where how large the ram disk is specified.
2. setup swap space, assuming you have a HD.
--The ramdisk should allocate memory dynamically depending on how much data is stored on it; the size reported by 'df' is the *maximum* size. There should be no need to resize it.
--Try starting ' konqueror ' and eclipse manually from a terminal window, and see what error messages they give when a crash happens. It's not at all uncommon for browsers to crash, sometimes it just happens.
Originally Posted by hnt
Thanks for the input! Ill try setting up some swap - could have really thought of that one
I tried to get some error-msg from Eclipse though the error came from the JVM itself (dialog popped up):
"JVM terminated. Exit code=-1 /usr/bin/java -cp /mnt/sdc2/java/eclipse/./startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 -showsplash [...] -showsplash 600"
At that time, eclipse was still "running" in the console.
Once you closed it, eclipse was gone too without any message.
I let free check mem every 3 seconds, this is the worst output it gave me - that was shortly before JVM hang up.
Ill just try with some swap now...Code:total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 250 248 2 0 5 45 -/+ buffers/cache: 197 53 Swap: 0 0 0
Helpful tip - if you are using kDE, it's a resource hog. Try using icewm or other more lightweight WM to save on memory.
Originally Posted by hnt

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$39.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$14.86
TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears
$99.99
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99