Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Samba and network browsing....

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21

    Samba and network browsing....

    I would like to first say that I really like knoppix....javascript:emoticon(%27%3AD%27)

    but I need a little help from some of you... PLEASE

    I have knoppix on my laptop and I have everything configured for using my wireless lan... but I can't seem to get use of lan browsing.... I can type smb://and the name of the computer I want into the address bar in konqueror and it works but if I use the network browse I don't get anything it sais that I can't connect to the localhost...????

    and also when I am on my other computers WINDOWS THAT IS I can't see my knoppix computer and I can't share any folders it sais that the applet fails to start...

    PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!javascript:emoticon(%27%3Acry%3A%27)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    John,

    I just did a quick look at the default smb.conf on Knoppix and noticed the only share listed is [homes] (besides printers) and "browseable" is set to "No". In order for your Knoppix box shares to be seen from the Windows box make sure the "browseable" parameter is set to "yes". I think you can just remove it since by default browseable is yes. The other tricky issue with [homes] share is it is set up to only be accessable by the user logged in with a valid samba account. I would suggest saving your current smb.conf to something else and starting with the following as your smb.conf and expand from there

    [global]
    netbiosname = whatevername
    workgroup = myworkgroup
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes

    [public]
    path = /tmp
    read only = no

    This comes from:
    http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/Samba24Hc13.pdf
    which is an excellent guide to getting samba working right.

    Hope this helps!

    Mike

  3. #3
    hansmax
    Guest

    smb

    How can i change the smb.conf when i am using knoppix boot from a cd rom. The smb.conf can't be changed because is is on a cd?!
    How can i change the smb.conf?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    Sorry, I usually work from an HD install. But try this:
    Move your original smb.conf to smb.conf.orig by:
    mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig
    then copy it to smb.conf by:
    cp /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig /etc/samba/smb.conf

    This removes the link to the original smb.conf and creates an editable smb.conf. I tested and I can edit after I do the move and copy, though I have not tested if samba itself works after this.

    Good luck, let me know how it goes.

    By the way I did notice you are in Minnesota. Just thought you might like to know we spent the afternoon in the park. It was about 72 degrees (above zero).

    Mike

Similar Threads

  1. network browsing?
    By Dominator in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 02:55 AM
  2. Samba share to be accessed by "My Network Places"
    By kurtz25 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 05:32 AM
  3. Knoppix Network boot from a samba server?
    By thenexuscode in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 01:54 PM
  4. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
  5. browsing lunx pc from win 2k
    By robert01483 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 12:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$163.49



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASRock B650M PG Lightning WiFi mATX AMD AM5 DDR5 4 DIMM HDMI M.2 - AS IS. READ picture

ASRock B650M PG Lightning WiFi mATX AMD AM5 DDR5 4 DIMM HDMI M.2 - AS IS. READ

$30.00



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



Dell OptiPlex 7070 MFF Motherboard Chipset Q370 Socket LGA1151 IPCFL-BS EK C1R19 picture

Dell OptiPlex 7070 MFF Motherboard Chipset Q370 Socket LGA1151 IPCFL-BS EK C1R19

$40.99