Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: kernel upgrade

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    37

    kernel upgrade

    hello,
    I followed the directions on installing a custom kernel (I chose 2.4.21) but after I reboot it refuses to load up modules of any sort. I changed the lilo.conf to point to the new kernel but when it boots (and fails to start graphical login due to the missing modules) and I do a uname -r I still get the 2.4.20-xfs version of the kernel running. It appears to be trying to load the 2.4.20-xfs modules which don't seem to exist anymore. How did I fubar this one up?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: kernel upgrade

    --You did do ' make modules && make modules_install ' and ' depmod -a ', right?

    --You should also ' cd /lib/modules; ln 2.4.21 preferred -sfn '.

    --And remember to keep a backup of good running kernel+modules always in lilo, in case these changes don't work.

    Quote Originally Posted by ferreter
    hello,
    I followed the directions on installing a custom kernel (I chose 2.4.21) but after I reboot it refuses to load up modules of any sort. I changed the lilo.conf to point to the new kernel but when it boots (and fails to start graphical login due to the missing modules) and I do a uname -r I still get the 2.4.20-xfs version of the kernel running. It appears to be trying to load the 2.4.20-xfs modules which don't seem to exist anymore. How did I fubar this one up?

Similar Threads

  1. Kernel upgrade 2.4 -> 2.6
    By eris_pluvia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 06:52 PM
  2. Kernel upgrade problem.
    By massai in forum General Support
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 09:08 AM
  3. No CD burner after kernel upgrade
    By balaclavabob in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2003, 08:39 PM
  4. Kernel Upgrade question
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 08:32 AM
  5. kernel upgrade/rebuilt WTF
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD picture

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD

$84.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99