-
SU fails after install
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I searched and found nothing. I ran the knoppix-installer script from the 2003-07-25 knoppix CD. Unfortunately the user account created durring the install is unable to issue the su command (authentication failed). I added the created user to the adm, root, and staff groups, but no luck. Am I missing the obvious?
-
Junior Member
registered user
You may need to boot up the Knoppix CD, acess the harddrive (be sure it is set as writable) /mnt/hda?/etc/shadow file and delete the root password (between the first two colons). Then logout of the CD and restart and login as root with a blank password. Your can then reset the password typing passwd and giving a new password.
-
Senior Member
registered user
NONONO, editing the shadow password file directly is definitely NOT recommended. Too many things can go wrong.
--First of all, are you typing the ROOT password when you try to su? There's a difference in behavior from the ' sudo ' command. With sudo, you type the *USER'S* password, and the userid has to have an entry in /etc/sudoers.
--If you need to reset the root password for whatever reason, I would boot from CD and ' chroot ' to the root partition, then ' passwd root ' rather than editing the shadow file directly.

Originally Posted by
aaronforjesus
You may need to boot up the Knoppix CD, acess the harddrive (be sure it is set as writable) /mnt/hda?/etc/shadow file and delete the root password (between the first two colons). Then logout of the CD and restart and login as root with a blank password. Your can then reset the password typing passwd and giving a new password.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Sounds a lot safer. Thanks for the tip!
-
Thanks for the help guys, but let me clarify a bit. The root password works just fine when logging in as root, but when, as a normal user, I issue the su command and enter the root password I get an error telling me that authentication failed.
-
Senior Member
registered user
--Try adding the username to /etc/sudoers; if that doesn't help with the ' su ' command then at least you can still ' sudo bash ' and get to root.
Code:
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
your-user ALL=(ALL) ALL

Originally Posted by
cr8dle2grave
Thanks for the help guys, but let me clarify a bit. The root password works just fine when logging in as root, but when, as a normal user, I issue the su command and enter the root password I get an error telling me that authentication failed.
-
Fixed
I found a fix for my problem:
- I found my answer by reading through the Linux Pam Administrator Guide
I edited /etc/pam.d/su and uncommented the following line:
Code:
auth required pam_wheel.so
This line sets the configuration so that a user must be a member of the "root" group in order to issue the "su" command. I'm not sure why I had to do this as with the line commented it should allow all users to issue the "su" command. Anyhow, it works now.
Similar Threads
-
By bazfum in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-02-2004, 09:04 PM
-
By markb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-19-2004, 03:37 AM
-
By g-joey in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-03-2004, 05:38 PM
-
By zero_divide_1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 07:06 AM
-
By devilotx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

Lot of 18 Mixed Brands PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM
$2879.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

SK Hynix 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH Tested
$235.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80