Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: windows 2000 Pro & qtpated

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    20

    windows 2000 Pro & qtpated

    I have a friend who is getting very frustrated with his windows 2000 pro install, and is seriously considering install knoppix.

    My question(s) concern qtparted, and the stability to resize an NTFS partition.

    He has alot of windos data (text/pics/etc) from the past that he doesnt' want to lose, and I want to make sure that it's pretty idiot proof, so I don't lose any of his data.

    Are there any special considerations, gotchas, etc I should be aware of, before I attempt to repartition his drive, and bring him into the Linux/debian/knoppix world?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: windows 2000 Pro & qtpated

    Quote Originally Posted by mailman42
    My question(s) concern qtparted, and the stability to resize an NTFS partition.
    While I have never done the procedure I have seen posts of success re-sizing one that sticks out in my memory is this one by Eadz.

    He has alot of windos data (text/pics/etc) from the past that he doesnt' want to lose, and I want to make sure that it's pretty idiot proof, so I don't lose any of his data.
    All data should be backed up and the backup verified before attempting a procedure like this there are no idiot proof methods for anything there is always something that can go wrong.

    Are there any special considerations, gotchas, etc I should be aware of, before I attempt to repartition his drive, and bring him into the Linux/debian/knoppix world?

    Thanks
    As mentioned by Eadz in his post the drive should be defragged before the attempt.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: windows 2000 Pro & qtpated

    Quote Originally Posted by mailman42
    Are there any special considerations, gotchas, etc I should be aware of, before I attempt to repartition his drive, and bring him into the Linux/debian/knoppix world?

    Thanks
    One very important sugestion here. I tried using Qtparted to install Knoppix on a friend's computer, but Qtparted failed because the drive was too fragmented. Have your friend defragment the drive before you come over. Sometimes this takes quite a while in Windows, so I recommend your friend start defraging a while before you come over.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    20

    Thanks

    aay & Stephen,

    Thank you. I really do appreciate the report, and the pointer. I have them emailed to my friend, and printed out for the next few weeks.

Similar Threads

  1. Networking on Windows 2000 - help!
    By JLocke in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 12:06 AM
  2. smbmount and Windows 2000 network
    By GdB in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 01:41 PM
  3. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
  4. Starting Knoppix from Windows 2000
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 11:43 PM
  5. Connecting to Windows 2000 Server
    By lindleyrl in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 06:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch. picture

Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.

$95.62