-
windows 2000 Pro & qtpated
I have a friend who is getting very frustrated with his windows 2000 pro install, and is seriously considering install knoppix.
My question(s) concern qtparted, and the stability to resize an NTFS partition.
He has alot of windos data (text/pics/etc) from the past that he doesnt' want to lose, and I want to make sure that it's pretty idiot proof, so I don't lose any of his data.
Are there any special considerations, gotchas, etc I should be aware of, before I attempt to repartition his drive, and bring him into the Linux/debian/knoppix world?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: windows 2000 Pro & qtpated

Originally Posted by
mailman42
My question(s) concern qtparted, and the stability to resize an NTFS partition.
While I have never done the procedure I have seen posts of success re-sizing one that sticks out in my memory is this one by Eadz.
He has alot of windos data (text/pics/etc) from the past that he doesnt' want to lose, and I want to make sure that it's pretty idiot proof, so I don't lose any of his data.
All data should be backed up and the backup verified before attempting a procedure like this there are no idiot proof methods for anything there is always something that can go wrong.
Are there any special considerations, gotchas, etc I should be aware of, before I attempt to repartition his drive, and bring him into the Linux/debian/knoppix world?
Thanks
As mentioned by Eadz in his post the drive should be defragged before the attempt.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: windows 2000 Pro & qtpated

Originally Posted by
mailman42
Are there any special considerations, gotchas, etc I should be aware of, before I attempt to repartition his drive, and bring him into the Linux/debian/knoppix world?
Thanks
One very important sugestion here. I tried using Qtparted to install Knoppix on a friend's computer, but Qtparted failed because the drive was too fragmented. Have your friend defragment the drive before you come over. Sometimes this takes quite a while in Windows, so I recommend your friend start defraging a while before you come over.
-
Thanks
aay & Stephen,
Thank you. I really do appreciate the report, and the pointer. I have them emailed to my friend, and printed out for the next few weeks.
Similar Threads
-
By JLocke in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 12:06 AM
-
By GdB in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 01:41 PM
-
By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By pnti in forum General Support
Replies: 18
Last Post: 05-23-2003, 11:43 PM
-
By lindleyrl in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-09-2003, 06:50 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC
$115.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50