Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: mounting iomega zip disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    11

    mounting iomega zip disk

    As root, when I try to mount my zip drive with:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/sda4
    I get an error msg saying that this is the wront fstype. What is the correct fstype? Or is there any way to mount a zip drive that is fat32 from windows?
    I've already tried the info from the only post in this forum, that is why I used the command above, but it does not work either.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    Hi benmayim,

    what is the output of

    fdisk -l /dev/sda

    Is there a FAT Partition no. 4 ?

    Else try

    file -s /dev/sda[1234]

    This will give you some more information

    Ciao Martin

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by horo
    Hi benmayim,

    what is the output of

    fdisk -l /dev/sda

    Is there a FAT Partition no. 4 ?

    Else try

    file -s /dev/sda[1234]

    This will give you some more information

    Ciao Martin
    fdisk -l /dev/sda gives the following info for partitions sda1,2,3,4
    Partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-linux)
    Partition 4 has different physical/logical endings
    Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.

    files -s /dev/sda[1234] gives the following info:
    sda1,2,4 ERROR: Cannot read /dev/sda1 Input/Output error
    sda3 just says /dev/sda3

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Do you have an IDE zip drive, a parallel external one, or a usb one?

    I have had to boot up with the zip disk in place when using an IDE zip drive.

    With par-port external zip drives you'll either have to modprobe imm (for the newer ones) or modprobe ppa (for the older ones) to load the proper kernel module.

    I don't have any usb stuff so I probably can't help you if you have usb.

    ~rock

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    Hi benmayim,

    maybe your zip drive is formatted as a "superfloppy", i.e. there are no partitions. Then you must mount /dev/sda and not /dev/sda[1234].
    Just an idea, maybe it helps, but first try Rock's tips.

    Ciao Martin

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    11

    IDE internal

    Quote Originally Posted by RockMumbles
    Do you have an IDE zip drive, a parallel external one, or a usb one?

    I have had to boot up with the zip disk in place when using an IDE zip drive.

    With par-port external zip drives you'll either have to modprobe imm (for the newer ones) or modprobe ppa (for the older ones) to load the proper kernel module.

    I don't have any usb stuff so I probably can't help you if you have usb.

    ~rock
    My zip drive is an IDE internal, and it always has a zip disk (FAT32) in it when I boot knoppix 3.2 from CD.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by horo
    Hi benmayim,

    maybe your zip drive is formatted as a "superfloppy", i.e. there are no partitions. Then you must mount /dev/sda and not /dev/sda[1234].
    Just an idea, maybe it helps, but first try Rock's tips.

    Ciao Martin
    I'm not sure what you mean as a "superfloppy" because on my KDE desktop in Knoppix 3.2 I have icons for sda1, sda2, sda4, and sda3 is oddly missing, but whenever I click on them it says it can't read them and I did not specify the filesystem for mounting. If I go to the /mnt folder, sda1, sda2, and sda4 are there and there is not sda3 in the folder.

    Actually, I really don't care if I can read FAT32 zip disks (although that would be nicer), but I can't even format a blank zip disk with ext2 file system.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by horo
    Hi benmayim,

    maybe your zip drive is formatted as a "superfloppy", i.e. there are no partitions. Then you must mount /dev/sda and not /dev/sda[1234].
    Just an idea, maybe it helps, but first try Rock's tips.

    Ciao Martin
    Also, I've tried mounding as sda [1234] and sda with no numbers, nothing works

Similar Threads

  1. USB disk mounting
    By Neno in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 05:17 AM
  2. USB disk mounting
    By Neno in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 07:29 AM
  3. writing to iomega zip 100 usb
    By sdexpn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 06:03 AM
  4. mounting a zip disk as knoppix user
    By cascadefx in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 04:38 PM
  5. Iomega Zip Drive
    By duke_ly in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 05:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



HPE 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-R DDR4 Svr RAM P03052-091  P00924-B21 M393A4K40DB2-CVFBY picture

HPE 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-R DDR4 Svr RAM P03052-091 P00924-B21 M393A4K40DB2-CVFBY

$270.00



Bulk lot of 13 × 4GB DDR4-2400 ECC Registered RDIMM server memory modules picture

Bulk lot of 13 × 4GB DDR4-2400 ECC Registered RDIMM server memory modules

$165.00



Samsung 32GB (1x32GB) PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133) LRDIMM Memory (M386A4G40DM0-CPB0Q) picture

Samsung 32GB (1x32GB) PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133) LRDIMM Memory (M386A4G40DM0-CPB0Q)

$120.00



LOT OF 7 Samsung 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 Server Memory RAM M393B1K70CHD-CH9 picture

LOT OF 7 Samsung 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 Server Memory RAM M393B1K70CHD-CH9

$89.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot of 12 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V LRDIMM 768GB DDR4 Samsung SK Hynix M386A8K40BM2 picture

Lot of 12 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V LRDIMM 768GB DDR4 Samsung SK Hynix M386A8K40BM2

$4500.00



Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4

$1299.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US picture

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US

$3.95