Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Remaster boots but fails with fsck.ext error ??

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4

    Remaster boots but fails with fsck.ext error ??

    Hi,

    I remastered Knoppix using the Knoppix Remastering Howto. The process appeared to go well with no errors. However, when I boot the CD, Knoppix begins to run but fails:

    Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...Done.
    Starting init process.
    INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
    Running from HD, checking filesystem
    Activating swap...
    Checking root filesystem...
    fsck 1.34-WIP (21-May-2003)
    fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /
    /:

    The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem... etc, etc.

    Changes to my remaster: I only removed packages I didn't want.

    Questions:
    1) Should Knoppix be trying to run from my harddrive?
    2) Even so... Since my hardrive is ext3 should it be using fsck.ext2?
    3) How can I fix this so that Knoppix boots as it does on the stock iso.


    BTW - I am working from the 7-26 release.

    Basically I want Knoppix to run just like the stock distro with less packages. I don't want to use one of the existing remasters because I'd really like to learn to do this for myself. Anyone have some advice on where I went wrong?

    One last thing...
    The Knoppix Remastering Howto was very straightforward until I got to:
    "first do some cleanup : remove .bash_history files, tmp files etc"
    Although I am familiar with Linux enough to install and use it, I am not familiar enough to know what tmp files to remove and what files to consider as etcetera. Would someone be so kind as to clarify this a bit?

    Thanks in advance,

    --Paul

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4

    answered (sorta)

    For sake of completeness I guess I'll respond to myself. I think I at least have some of the answer. I was booting knoppix from CD as the instructions say but I was doing so on a machine that also had KNOPPIX installed to the hard drive. Apparently, something in the remaster process picks up that fact and inorporates its awareness of the hard drive install into the remaster. Unfortunately I have no idea what it might be picking up (having not yet read the remaster from hd instructions). So, I wiped all the drives in the machine so that the only OS was the Knoppix CD and remastered. This time it worked.

    I deleted the bash_history file from /root and deleted everything under the tmp directories including sub directories. Still don't know what files would fall under the etcetera category but then apparently neither do any of you. If someone does, please take the time to respond to maybe help other remastering noobs like me.

    Hope this helps some others.

Similar Threads

  1. HddInstall fails with XDialog fatal error
    By rosemeyer2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 06:45 PM
  2. Remaster w/DSL. boot fails - Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem
    By PigPen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 04:54 AM
  3. 1st attempt to boot fails with error msg
    By RonE in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2003, 07:17 AM
  4. Problem - boots, boots.....and so
    By j0x in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 12:54 PM
  5. Can I fsck the HD install from the CD?
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2003, 12:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72