Quote Originally Posted by ferreter
I did this, but still k3b has my burner listed under the reader section of the devices rather than the writer section and quite obviously will not burn anything. I changed the fstab entry to not be ro but rather rw as well if that makes a difference.
Most Linux apps will try to use /dev/cdroom by default. If this is the case with k3b then you just need to symlink /dev/cdromk to your burner. It's easy:

As root...
rm -f /dev/cdrom
ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrom


That should have made a symbolic link from /dev/scd1 (your cd burner) to /dev/cdrom. How do you find out?

ls -al /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug 3 06:53 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd1


If your output looks like the above then you were successful. Also make sure you have selected the proper cdrdao driver in k3b configure. Usually generic-mmc will work.


As for the other odd issue, I was able to setup a new icon in my desktop to allow a right-click mount option where on the other icon it only gives me the option to play the CD. Can I not have both functionalities for the CD-ROM in one icon (both audio and data)?
Desktop icons? Hmmmm heard of em but that's about it. It's just easier to mount them manually, besides do you actually ever see your desktop? I don't but that's just me.