-
Junior Member
registered user
Mozilla menu font
The mozilla menu font in knoppix 3.2 (07/25/2003) is very small. The only hits I find on this prob. is to change userChrome.css. True. But there is something else going on: I use the very same mozilla on a HD partition with Debian Sarge without any userChrome at all and that menu font looks beautiful. The latter does not use KDE but fvwm2. Anybody have a clue other than changing userChrome.css?
BTW there was a post on this
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32#93
but that is very outdated because all his references are not found. That post ought to be removed.
Thank you.
Hugo
-
Junior Member
registered user
Beats me why nobody else has, or notices this. Anyway, found the answer. The appearance of the font that Mozilla will use is determined by what the X server uses for resolution.
If you look into /etc/kde3/kdm/servers of the Knoppix CD you will see it set to 75, so all characters in Mozilla's menu, etc. (NOT the fonts of the displayed pages, those are set with the preferences menu) are very small.
If you change -dpi 75 to -dpi 120 then the menus look much better. I also changed my screen size to 1280x1024 which may have something to do with it. On the HD install, that is, you cannot restart X on the CD.
Thanks all! On to remastering.
Hugo.
-
Junior Member
registered user
And.. it isn't true: changing -dvi in xsession has no effect in some circumstances:
1. when you use XFree86 -configure you get (I get?) a better screen resolution but -dvi has no effect on the menufonts of Mozilla.
2. when you use Knoppix's XF86Config-4 they do have an effect.
Also Knoppix's Mozilla Debian package has mozilla-xft with it, but the fonts are not antialiased. When I delete mozilla and install my own that is xft enabled, antialiasing does result.
Why?
-
Junior Member
registered user
And I found the solution (again
). I found a google here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...%3Dd%26hl%3Den
It discusses changing the Mozilla menu/toolbar/etc. fonts without using userChrome.css. And indeed.
1. apt-get gtk-engines-xenophilia
2. put the google entry into ~/.gtkrc
3. I changed the font to:
-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-88-iso8859-1
4. Then I ran XFree86 -configure and used that XF86Config-4, adding DefaultColorDepth 16 above the depts of the screen section.
Now I have a mozilla that is Xft enabled, which I did not get with the original on the 07/25/2003-en version. I pulled my own mozilla and enabled xft.
Mind you, this is all on chrooted knoppix. I will now master a CD image and see how that looks from there...
Hugo
-

Originally Posted by
hugo
Beats me why nobody else has, or notices this. Anyway, found the answer. The appearance of the font that Mozilla will use is determined by what the X server uses for resolution.
If you look into /etc/kde3/kdm/servers of the Knoppix CD you will see it set to 75, so all characters in Mozilla's menu, etc. (NOT the fonts of the displayed pages, those are set with the preferences menu) are very small.
If you change -dpi 75 to -dpi 120 then the menus look much better. I also changed my screen size to 1280x1024 which may have something to do with it. On the HD install, that is, you cannot restart X on the CD.
Thanks all! On to remastering.
Hugo.
Hugo, firstly, thanks for your tip, it was very usefull. I ended up doing a little poking around with the 'Xservers' file you mentioned and found that if you totally remove the 'dpi' reference, then it also fixes the problem. X then seems to default to a dpi of 96x97.
Similar Threads
-
By turbines in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-28-2004, 08:51 PM
-
By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 06:32 AM
-
By tearinghairout in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-30-2003, 04:41 PM
-
By burke3gd in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-20-2003, 10:58 AM
-
By milesj in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$319.99

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade
$15.95

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99

HP Z2 G5 Workstation Xeon W-1250 32GB 1TB SSD NVIDIA RTX 4000 Win11 Pro
$560.00