-
Newbie - quick question.
OK, I am very impressed. I have been a long time Windows unser, but as of late have been wanting to learn about Linux. So I downloaded the KNOPPIX iso file, burned it to CD, rebooted my DELL Inspiron 8200 laptop (1.8 GHz, 512MB) - Linux is up and running, I have access to the Internet through my router, my optical mouse works - wow that was easy.
However I did notice there was significant HD activity while I was toying around in Linux. I am afraid that my HD might have been corrupted. After I rebotted without KNOPPIX I ran CHKDSK and sure enough it found some problems. Is this a coincidence or did KNOPPIX write to my Hard Drive?
Thanks,
Tony
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
hd damaged ?
Dont worry.Knoppix mounts all partitions it finds READ ONLY and will not write anything to your drive unless you go thru the steps to change to read/write mode.You have to tell it to do this and it's not going to just happen magicly.The only exception would be if it found a linux type 82 swap partition on boot but thats like a temp file anyway and has no data to loose.
Knopix needs no hard drive to run from cd.Unplug your hd sometimes and prove it to yourself
-
update access to file on HD
OK folks - thanks for the replys. I poked around and tried to update some files on my C: drive. Sure enough in most cases I got zapped with a read-only message. However, when I clicked into the recycle bin, I was able to open and save. Anyone else try that? (I am running Windows XP Professional). It is possible the file update did not go through, but I did not get the read-only error message I expected.
Tony
-
Never mind - my bad. When I did save a document in my XP recycle bin (froim within KNOPPIX) it did not give me a read-only error when I pressed the save button BECAUSE I did not actualy change the file. When changing the file, then trying to save it, sure enought I get a read-only error. So I think I am fine. Also the WIndows XP CHKDSK errors I was receiving I think are normal when running CHKDSK from a command prompt within XP as it does not have exclusive accesss to the volume. So the CHKDSK errors had nothing to do with KNOPPIX. Everything is cool.
Tony
-
Senior Member
registered user
Let me make a quick comment here. Is your XP using NTFS? If so you can read fine, but don't try and write! Wrting to NTFS will most certainly cause you problems. If you are using vfat then you should have no problem.
Similar Threads
-
By benjamin1254 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-11-2005, 03:42 AM
-
By scruffy in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 03:28 PM
-
By Quite in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-22-2004, 11:27 PM
-
By mikey_man380 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
-
By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Western Digital 2TB WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 3.5" SATA Red NAS Hard Disk Drive
$69.99