-
3C509 network-adapter not supported?
Knoppix did not find my 3C509 network-adapter. It is one of the most known ISA-adapters. This adapter is found by some other Linux-distributions.
- Is there a simple solution for this?
- Or should I buy a PCI adapter?
- Which brand/type is supported?
I hope someone can at least answer question 1 or 3.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I got one to detect but it doesn't work. It keeps cycling through errors and doesn't work.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 0 addresses.
eth0: Setting 3c5x9/3c5x9B half-duplex mode if_port: 0, sw_info: 1311
(Repeat 3 times)
Then:
Operation failed.
No answer from network
Can't NFSmount KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.
I can then rmmod 3c509.o and then insmod 3c509.o but when I do a pump, it starts back up again.
-
Knoppix does start al the way. Just when I want to configure the NIC Knoppix says:
"No supported network cards found."
I've got the same problem with a ISA-NIC from SMC. This is also a very well known NIC.
-
I did solve the problem for the 3C509 NIC.
I learned from other distributions this card should not set to PNP.
I found out that the module was 3C509.
So I logged in as root and opened a TTY2 (press <CTRL-ALT-F2> for that).
I typed:
modprobe 3C509
then I typed:
ifup eth0
Then returned to X-server (press <ALT-F5> for that).
Then I could confige the NIC (Start Apllications - Knoppix - Network/Internet - Network card configuration)
All I have to find out is if there is a module for the SMC-NIC.
Maybe someone can tell me which module I need and if it's there.
-
I did look into a lot of HOWTO's to find the right module for the SMC Elite 16 NIC. I found out it is not supported, although some of the HOWTO's are saying it should work with the module wd. I've tried that but it did not work.
It's not really important, but I would like to use this nec as a spare one.
Has anyone a suggestion?
Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By tjudycki in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-28-2005, 12:38 AM
-
By minghai in forum Networking
Replies: 17
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 05:17 AM
-
By tsugua in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 04:18 AM
-
By haYnguy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:19 AM
-
By tesmith66 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-07-2004, 02:49 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.21

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$16.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$465.98

NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5" Laptop Windows 11 PRO Intel N5095 16GB DDR4 1024GB SSD
$444.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1794.16

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Apple iPad Pro 12.9" 5th Gen 128GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Wi-Fi Or Cellular - Good
$509.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

SGIN 15.6" Laptop 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Win 11 Intel i3-10100Y Backlit Keyboard FHD
$335.99