Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 3C509 network-adapter not supported?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54

    3C509 network-adapter not supported?

    Knoppix did not find my 3C509 network-adapter. It is one of the most known ISA-adapters. This adapter is found by some other Linux-distributions.
    - Is there a simple solution for this?
    - Or should I buy a PCI adapter?
    - Which brand/type is supported?

    I hope someone can at least answer question 1 or 3.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139
    I got one to detect but it doesn't work. It keeps cycling through errors and doesn't work.

    eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
    eth0: Setting Rx mode to 0 addresses.
    eth0: Setting 3c5x9/3c5x9B half-duplex mode if_port: 0, sw_info: 1311
    (Repeat 3 times)
    Then:
    Operation failed.
    No answer from network
    Can't NFSmount KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit.

    I can then rmmod 3c509.o and then insmod 3c509.o but when I do a pump, it starts back up again.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    Knoppix does start al the way. Just when I want to configure the NIC Knoppix says:
    "No supported network cards found."
    I've got the same problem with a ISA-NIC from SMC. This is also a very well known NIC.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    I did solve the problem for the 3C509 NIC.
    I learned from other distributions this card should not set to PNP.
    I found out that the module was 3C509.
    So I logged in as root and opened a TTY2 (press <CTRL-ALT-F2> for that).
    I typed:
    modprobe 3C509
    then I typed:
    ifup eth0
    Then returned to X-server (press <ALT-F5> for that).
    Then I could confige the NIC (Start Apllications - Knoppix - Network/Internet - Network card configuration)

    All I have to find out is if there is a module for the SMC-NIC.
    Maybe someone can tell me which module I need and if it's there.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    I did look into a lot of HOWTO's to find the right module for the SMC Elite 16 NIC. I found out it is not supported, although some of the HOWTO's are saying it should work with the module wd. I've tried that but it did not work.

    It's not really important, but I would like to use this nec as a spare one.

    Has anyone a suggestion?

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. via on-board network card not supported?
    By tjudycki in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 12:38 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 05:17 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 04:18 AM
  4. Wireless USB Network Adapter Problems....
    By haYnguy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:19 AM
  5. The live CD stopped activating my network adapter. ?????
    By tesmith66 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 02:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



MCSI IND-486DX Industrial ISA SBC PC/104 Motherboard NOS Untested No CPU RAM picture

MCSI IND-486DX Industrial ISA SBC PC/104 Motherboard NOS Untested No CPU RAM

$189.99



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$594.99



Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981 picture

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981

$199.99



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500 B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500 B5000

$94.95



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$94.95



LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold picture

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold

$749.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00