-
Knoppix, ergo Debian?
Hi everyone.
I have this laptop, a Compaq Presario 900z.
It has a few very obscure pieces of hardware in it, and I have been trying to get linux running on it for almost a year.
Have been checking google and the like, and barely anyone has been successful, and those who have, well their methods didnt work for me.
The errors have been due to IDE drivers, video drivers, pci drivers, sound drivers, PCMCIA drivers, USB, basiclly a whole ton of stuff.
Now I checked about every month or so, and have attempted installs myself ( I'm not a linux expert or anything, I'd guess im a bit under intermediate ).
Well the other day I was toting around a knoppix CD ( latest release ) that was unlabeled, I had made it to help a friend who had accidently locked himself out of his windows machine ( for those who don't know, you can boot with knoppix and get the password hashes from a windows machine fairly easily ). I just threw it in my laptop bag when I got finished helping him, and thought nothing of it.
Later on I went to grab my music CD at my bag to listen to some Rammstein while I was messing around at the wireless cafe. I hit the power on to my laptop, put the CD in, typed in the bios password and went to get a drink while it was booting.
Well it wasnt the rammstein CD.
The heathen laptop that could not support any other distrobution even heavily tweaked ( im talking recompiled kernels, new drivers and modules made from scratch, heavily tweaked ) had just booted Knoppix.
with no configuration at all.
Even more to my surprise X and sound both worked. Sound was something that I don't believe anyone ( that posted on the forums/sites that I checked ) had gotten to work on this laptop yet.
Now Debian is the one distro that I never tested.
What I'm wondering is:
If knoppix works, does that mean debian will work?
It's going to be a pretty long, involved process getting debian and whatnot, as I'm on a slow internet connection now, and will have to back up a ton of data on my laptops hard drive.
I know that knoppix is based on debian, but just how similar are they?
Also I have some questions about a knoppix install to HD. I know there are guides on it, I know how to RTFM. I am not asking how to do it.
What I want to know is it as effective performance-wise, and versitility-wise ( versitility in terms of preinstalled software packages, this isnt as big of a deal as I can just install the software I need ) as a full fledged debian install?
I am VERY happy with what I've just seen Knoppix do.
Seeing that computer boot linux was like seeing the virgin mary or something, I never thought I'd ever see it happen.
-
Snap, I am very sorry. I did not notice to post in the HD install forum
.
I feel really bad about this because I moderate some boards as well and get users that post in the wrong forum all the time.
I'm a retard, please move this post, sorry again
.
edit: thanks for moving it.
-
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ponds
Snap, I am very sorry. I did not notice to post in the HD install forum

.
I feel really bad about this because I moderate some boards as well and get users that post in the wrong forum all the time.
I'm a retard, please move this post, sorry again

.
As you can see I have moved your post and to answer most of your questions above Knoppix is a fully working Debian install on CD with a few added scripts and tweaks for better hardware detection. When you install to the HD it is just Debian then you can do anything that can be done with a "normal" install of that OS. It can be a little tricky to upgrade the install due to all the packages installed from the different sources until you get used to how apt-get works but seeing as you have a slow connection I don't imagine you will be trying that soon anyways.
Similar Threads
-
By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 18
Last Post: 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
-
By trivas7 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By manatarms1775 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-19-2004, 05:01 AM
-
By datakid in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
-
By freeman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-16-2003, 07:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$334.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$222.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99