Check dmesg for any errors regarding agpgart. Get into your BIOS and see if you can bump the AGP aperture up.
I can boot and use Knoppix from the console, but there is a problem (I'm new to Linux) and I get the following message:
[drm:drm_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.o: init_module: Cannot allocate memory.
I don't know the Knoppix version I have. It's a Spanish version I bought here (in Buenos Aires).
That problem happens at work. At home I booted OK. Maybe I must configure something (IRQ?)
Thanks guys,
Gustaw
Check dmesg for any errors regarding agpgart. Get into your BIOS and see if you can bump the AGP aperture up.
dmesg states:Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 93M
agpgart: detected an Intel i815 chipset. AGP aperture is 64M @ 0x84000000
[drm] AGP 0.99 @ 0x84000000 64MB
[drm] Initialized i910 1.2.1 20020211 on minor 0.
Unfortunately I can't modify the AGP aperture. (The box I use at work is ACER Veriton 5100).
Thanks anyway,
Gustaw
Try booting w/ noagp.
Didn't work either.Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
I failed to mention that earlier I got the following message:
you passed an undefined mode number
press <RETURN> to see video modes available <SPACE> to continue.
Then I hit <RETURN> and select mode 0 (or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
And the problem persists...
Gustaw
PS: Same problem has the guy who started the "Video or RAM conflicts?"
maybe you can boot expert and configure the xserver yourself. Get the specs for your video card and monitor.
for video...
ram
chipset
for monitor..
horizontal refresh rate
vertical refresh rate
If you use the cheatcode vga=0 then you won't get the "undefined mode number" message on startup. I use:Originally Posted by Gustaw
boot: knoppix mem=1280M floppyconf vga=6 home=scan <enter>
OK, I got the information. What must I do now?Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
Thx,
Gustaw
At the boot prompt enter expert and set the xserver up yourself. You will be given the opportunity to enter the specs for your vide card and monitor manually. You may also be able to select your video card from a list.

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested
$35.00
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00
Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor
$39.99
Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95
ASRock b560 ATX Motherboard + Intel Core i5-11600K CPU Combo Gaming + 32 GB DDR4
$300.00
Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0
$38.00