Thats a good one...but I dont believe a word of it.What do you think guy's?
I recently booted knoppix 3.2 on a Dell Optiplex machine. Knoppix worked fine, but when I shut down and tried to restart I discovered that the computer was no longer working - It would not even get to the Bios setup, the screen stayed entirely blank and the diagnostic lights on the motherboard indicated it is a Bios problem. I had to get the motherboard replaced. I would STRONGLY recommend avoiding using Knoppix on a Dell Optiplex or any other Dell machines as it may affect them as well.
Thats a good one...but I dont believe a word of it.What do you think guy's?
Knoppix does no such thing. If you search the forum there are several instances of people being affected by this issue (like this one for example). There is a relatively painless fix.
Remove the power cable from your dell.
Push in the power button in the front until the power clears.
After that you should be able to get into your bios, boot Windows etc. I'm sorry that this happened to you and even more so that Dell does this, but please try searching the forums first before making an announcement like this. The blame for this falls squarely on Dell and their buggy bios and not on Knoppix
Whoa...I have never heard of anything like this...sorry Birkett
Still sounds like it would have been an easy fix and no real damage though.Thanks for the heads-up aay.
could be someone from m$![]()
I did not know it was an issue that was already known about - I should have looked harder before posting. Shame about the motherboard that was replaced, but it was under warrantyand it sounds like it was Dell's fault anyway...
My apologies,
James Birkett
Never had a problem like this with my Dell Dimension 4100 PIII 866!
impossible...
First try to reset the BIOS once for yourself (Jumper on motherboard or remove battery - READ THE MANUAL BEFORE DOING SO !!!)
OK, now I have 25 Dell Optiplex GX270s (PIV 2.4Ghz, 770MB ram, 40GB hdd, etc). But these machines have some sort of intel integrated video and audio chips. I get no sound and only 640x480 res!
Help, what can I do with this. I'm booting the CD and trying all kinds of cheats to no avail!
Frustrated,
I just tested 25 Dell Optiplex GX270s booting from a class set of V3.2 CDs several times a day for a week. I had no BIOS problems except possibly one of the 25 PCs did not reboot the first day.
I'm not sure if I ever got it to boot KNOPPIX in the first place. The BIOS settings are now incorrect (ie: missing hdd when there's a 40GB hdd in there) and may never even have booted M$ WINDOZE XP in the first place. But I'm not sure about that! It may be the case that it was running XP before I booted the CD, and the CD booted OK once, but then the PC never booted correctly again (CD or no CD). I have a feeling that's what happened now that I think of it! My memory ain't what it once was....
So there may well be some BIOs sensitivity here. This is not a KNOPPIX problem, however, in my view. I would think that nothing should be able to change BIOS settings without using BIOS password and the setup screen (unless we got some sort of surge on that PC which is unlikely). So, perhaps, Dell is using some sort of low quality BIOS?
What do ya think?
Regards,

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00
Fortinet FortiGate 50G Enterprise Firewall VPN Device, MPN FG-50G
$285.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD
$199.95
quantity 2-Fortinet FortiGate 50G Enterprise Firewall VPN Appliance, MPN FG-50G
$570.00
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99
VMware SD-WAN Edge 640N VeloCloud Dell E42W EnterpriseFirewall 32GB
$127.50
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00