-
-
Senior Member
registered user
Remember IBM laptops ?
These bastards integrated encoding chip which pre-encoded their harddisks (before accessing it with any OS). Their were even models were THE BIOS was put on the Harddisk. If you had the misfortune to format your disk together with part that contained you BIOS ,you could kill your pc. Maybe dell did this too ?
Did you already try to use the Boot on LAN option to push knoppix trough the LAN on your Dell ? (for example clusterknoppix stuff)
For memory management , I can consider Dell pc's and Packard Bell pc's the worst of their kind. Mainly they use shared memory (VIDEO+SYSTEM)
Maybe this could be a source of your problems. In this case a solution could be to search for BIOS upgrades. Check out http://www.motherboards.org/
greetzz and good luck
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've been reading on the web. It seems that the onboard intel video and audio chips actually share the RAM. If the BIOS does too....
Regards,
-
Senior Member
registered user
On a related note, please see my post here about my HP box:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=22566#22566
-

Originally Posted by
reecegeorge
could be someone from m$

It's not M$ FUD this time...
I'll vouch for the problem. Knoppix scared the shiznit outta me when my Dimension 4550 didn't come back after shutting down my first run of Knoppix.
I thought for sure it had fizzled my shizzle: powering up, the keyboard lights would come on, but the drives wouldn't spin up or anything. no video signal, no bios message, nothing. Just whirring fans.
But aay was right: unplug the power and hold down the power button, and it all comes back. I figure there must be some extra "shut your bad ass down" command in Knoppix that the Dell machines take a little _too_ literally. Dunno for sure, though. If anybody who can't reproduce the problem wants more info, or want me to try something, I'm game. Sign me up to test a fixed version as well. Knoppix is the bomb, give or take hosing my system for a few days until I got around to checking this forum.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
sancho

Originally Posted by
reecegeorge
could be someone from m$

It's not M$ FUD this time...
I'll vouch for the problem. Knoppix scared the shiznit outta me when my Dimension 4550 didn't come back after shutting down my first run of Knoppix.

I thought for sure it had fizzled my shizzle: powering up, the keyboard lights would come on, but the drives wouldn't spin up or anything. no video signal, no bios message, nothing. Just whirring fans.
But aay was right: unplug the power and hold down the power button, and it all comes back. I figure there must be some extra "shut your bad ass down" command in Knoppix that the Dell machines take a little _too_ literally. Dunno for sure, though. If anybody who can't reproduce the problem wants more info, or want me to try something, I'm game. Sign me up to test a fixed version as well. Knoppix is the bomb, give or take hosing my system for a few days until I got around to checking this forum.

I'm glad you found the fix. It's really easy, but only if you know about it. I disturbs me that newbies may be trying out Knoppix on their Dell's and then cursing Knoppix into oblivion when their machine won't reboot. I wish there was another way to deal with this issue as well.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
aay
I disturbs me that newbies may be trying out Knoppix on their Dell's and then cursing Knoppix into oblivion when their machine won't reboot. I wish there was another way to deal with this issue as well.
Me too there seem to be so many Dell's with these buggy BIOS's that a warning should be somewhere in the startup screen.
-
can we make Knoppix safer for dells?
Is there any way I can shut Knoppix down with some set of options or flags or something, so that it runs the shutdown commands one at a time?
Presumably the last one I see is the one that kills the machine, right?
Or maybe I could comment out blocks of shutdown commands, shutting down, fixing my shiznit, booting up and shutting down again until I can figure out which command is doing it...
Any tips from Knoppix gurus? I'm gonna go "man shutdown" now (damn.. that sounds kinky, somehow) and see what I can figure out, but additional thought or advice are both greatly appreciated.
-

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
OK, now I have 25 Dell Optiplex GX270s (PIV 2.4Ghz, 770MB ram, 40GB hdd, etc). But these machines have some sort of intel integrated video and audio chips. I get no sound and only 640x480 res!
Help, what can I do with this. I'm booting the CD and trying all kinds of cheats to no avail!
Frustrated,
Go into their BIOS and into the "Integrated Peripherals" section and change the silly "1 MB" default to "8 MB" and you will no longer have problems getting more than 640x480 using their onboard video chips.
Similar Threads
-
By marcc in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 11-11-2011, 04:23 PM
-
By Systems in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-03-2004, 02:52 PM
-
By ped in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-24-2004, 06:43 PM
-
By ovegr in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 12:11 PM
-
By ian in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00

Western Digital WD121PURP 12TB SATA 3.5" Purple Pro Surveillance Hard Drive
$275.00

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*
$319.79

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

WD Red 2TB SATA NAS 3.5" HDD WD20EFRX - SMART TESTED, WIPED
$68.00

Dell Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0023 4TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive
$39.99