Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: WARNING: Knoppix killed the BIOS on my Dell Optiplex

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    3

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Remember IBM laptops ?
    These bastards integrated encoding chip which pre-encoded their harddisks (before accessing it with any OS). Their were even models were THE BIOS was put on the Harddisk. If you had the misfortune to format your disk together with part that contained you BIOS ,you could kill your pc. Maybe dell did this too ?

    Did you already try to use the Boot on LAN option to push knoppix trough the LAN on your Dell ? (for example clusterknoppix stuff)

    For memory management , I can consider Dell pc's and Packard Bell pc's the worst of their kind. Mainly they use shared memory (VIDEO+SYSTEM)
    Maybe this could be a source of your problems. In this case a solution could be to search for BIOS upgrades. Check out http://www.motherboards.org/

    greetzz and good luck

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I've been reading on the web. It seems that the onboard intel video and audio chips actually share the RAM. If the BIOS does too....

    Regards,

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    On a related note, please see my post here about my HP box:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=22566#22566

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by reecegeorge
    could be someone from m$
    It's not M$ FUD this time...

    I'll vouch for the problem. Knoppix scared the shiznit outta me when my Dimension 4550 didn't come back after shutting down my first run of Knoppix. I thought for sure it had fizzled my shizzle: powering up, the keyboard lights would come on, but the drives wouldn't spin up or anything. no video signal, no bios message, nothing. Just whirring fans.

    But aay was right: unplug the power and hold down the power button, and it all comes back. I figure there must be some extra "shut your bad ass down" command in Knoppix that the Dell machines take a little _too_ literally. Dunno for sure, though. If anybody who can't reproduce the problem wants more info, or want me to try something, I'm game. Sign me up to test a fixed version as well. Knoppix is the bomb, give or take hosing my system for a few days until I got around to checking this forum.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho
    Quote Originally Posted by reecegeorge
    could be someone from m$
    It's not M$ FUD this time...

    I'll vouch for the problem. Knoppix scared the shiznit outta me when my Dimension 4550 didn't come back after shutting down my first run of Knoppix. I thought for sure it had fizzled my shizzle: powering up, the keyboard lights would come on, but the drives wouldn't spin up or anything. no video signal, no bios message, nothing. Just whirring fans.

    But aay was right: unplug the power and hold down the power button, and it all comes back. I figure there must be some extra "shut your bad ass down" command in Knoppix that the Dell machines take a little _too_ literally. Dunno for sure, though. If anybody who can't reproduce the problem wants more info, or want me to try something, I'm game. Sign me up to test a fixed version as well. Knoppix is the bomb, give or take hosing my system for a few days until I got around to checking this forum.
    I'm glad you found the fix. It's really easy, but only if you know about it. I disturbs me that newbies may be trying out Knoppix on their Dell's and then cursing Knoppix into oblivion when their machine won't reboot. I wish there was another way to deal with this issue as well.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    I disturbs me that newbies may be trying out Knoppix on their Dell's and then cursing Knoppix into oblivion when their machine won't reboot. I wish there was another way to deal with this issue as well.
    Me too there seem to be so many Dell's with these buggy BIOS's that a warning should be somewhere in the startup screen.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2

    can we make Knoppix safer for dells?

    Is there any way I can shut Knoppix down with some set of options or flags or something, so that it runs the shutdown commands one at a time?

    Presumably the last one I see is the one that kills the machine, right?

    Or maybe I could comment out blocks of shutdown commands, shutting down, fixing my shiznit, booting up and shutting down again until I can figure out which command is doing it...

    Any tips from Knoppix gurus? I'm gonna go "man shutdown" now (damn.. that sounds kinky, somehow) and see what I can figure out, but additional thought or advice are both greatly appreciated.

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    OK, now I have 25 Dell Optiplex GX270s (PIV 2.4Ghz, 770MB ram, 40GB hdd, etc). But these machines have some sort of intel integrated video and audio chips. I get no sound and only 640x480 res!

    Help, what can I do with this. I'm booting the CD and trying all kinds of cheats to no avail!

    Frustrated,
    Go into their BIOS and into the "Integrated Peripherals" section and change the silly "1 MB" default to "8 MB" and you will no longer have problems getting more than 640x480 using their onboard video chips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Dell Optiplex GX270 + 1703FP: 640x480 only?!...
    By marcc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 04:23 PM
  2. Dell BIOS
    By Systems in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 02:52 PM
  3. Dell Optiplex GX270 FIX!
    By ped in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 06:43 PM
  4. Dell Optiplex GX270 with intel 82865G VGA
    By ovegr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 12:11 PM
  5. Dell Optiplex GX260 82845G/GL only supports 640x480
    By ian in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 09:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia picture

128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia

$16.59



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$123.90



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" (WDS500G2B0A) SSD

$43.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



M.2 NVMe SSD 2280 Single Notch 128GB 256GB 512GB | Very Good health picture

M.2 NVMe SSD 2280 Single Notch 128GB 256GB 512GB | Very Good health

$22.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$45.99