Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Knoppix 8.6 new public version is finally out !

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    50
    I got 8.6 running. Had to give it boot codes: acpi=off no3d mkimage

    I got the tohd= boot code to load it to my SSD, but it still saves the mkimage persistence to the flashdrive and can't see how to change it to save persistence file to the SSD.

    Any ideas on that?

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by thriftee View Post
    I got the tohd= boot code to load it to my SSD, but it still saves the mkimage persistence to the flashdrive and can't see how to change it to save persistence file to the SSD.
    Doesn't the old way of using the ISO image from HDD partition work? Persistence could be achieved from the ISO image on the HDD partition too.

    However, I would request to be pardoned if I overlooked something written by thriftee earlier.

    BTW, has the 8.6 release solved the issue I'd raised on my query posted three months back?:
    One more installation Option needs be added for new Knoppix
    Last edited by rajibando; 09-14-2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo

  3. #13
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Hello,
    I have no issue running Knoppix 8.6.0 with the 64 bits kernel but it does hang after the message
    "Please do not remove medium until shutdown!" when choosing at boot time the 32 bit kernel (knoppix cheatcode).
    I have the same hanging issue with Knoppix 8.6 using 32 bit kernel when testing it within a virtual machine
    of both VMware and VirtualBox. Does anyone else can confirm this problem and have experienced similar issues ?
    Does anyone have a solution ? acpi=off and no3d does not help.
    Thanks,
    Gilles



    Last edited by ruymbeke; 09-22-2019 at 11:16 PM.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148
    ruymbeke, you are still at it!!! Great! I can confirm this happens on the 32 bit version, exactly as you describe. Well... you have alot more info on it than I. It's funny, I just complained about it on the Hardware and Booting thread... then I decided to hunt you down, hoping you were still active. And here you are, on the announcement page no less, reporting a big bug. You are a bridge to my past! I was booting off the physical DVD, so I had no way to gather any info.

    So, have you learned anything in a months time?
    Did you fix your copy?

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148

    Can't access tty!!!

    Here is what I got when I used the debug cheatcode.

    Can't access tty. Job control turned off.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...tMVndGLXJpOHFr

    and the filesystem is mounted

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...9DQWYtVEpRdFRN

    How do you post inline images?
    Last edited by johnrw; 10-15-2019 at 05:36 PM.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148
    How do I add an image to a post?
    These instructions are pure bogus!!!!!!
    There is no manage attachments anywhere!!!!

    http://knoppix.net/forum/faq.php?faq...eading_posting

    It says...

    How do I attach a file to a post?


    To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.


    On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.


    To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.


    Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.


    What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?


    In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.


    If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.


    To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert photos from your albums (?) in this way too.

  7. #17
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Hi John,
    Klaus Knopper acknowledged the problem of Knoppix 8.6.0 with the 32 bit kernel on the Debian forum and is working on it (Knoppix 8.6.1 to come).
    It is kind of puzzling that the cloop module that is creating the problem is working just fine with 64 bit kernel and does break with the 32 bit kernel.
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-knop.../msg00006.html
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

    PS: I could not find a way to upload a pictures in this forum. Instead I stored them somewhere on a www server and used the web link to them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount picture

LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount

$350.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99