Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Wanted: Overview

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    37

    Wanted: Overview

    The Knoppix CD is fantastic, yet when transferred to the hdd it seems to suffer from the the same (or similar) ills as other distros.
    Given that Klaus Knopper must be a geuius, can anyone offer insights into the underlying problems that are involved in installing an OS to a hdd?

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Wanted: Overview

    This is an incredibly open ended question. Could you specify exactly what problems you are having with your hard drive install?

  3. #3
    simple
    Guest

    overview

    My request is based on the posts to this and the Linuxtag forums.
    In general, I have been trying , off and on, to install a _working_ linux distro for over a year .As a complete newbie I have spent hours looking over sites re Mandrake, Redhat and suse, inc Knoppix of course.
    My request is open ended because, as others have commented elsewhere, the performance of the Knoppix CD is so very different from any other linux distro that I have tried.
    How is it possible for one man, Klaus Knopper, to create a linux distro. that has NO PROBLEMS recognizing hardware, while every other distro that I have tried has problems?
    One man versus how many programmers working for how many distros?
    I cannot understand this, so my question has to be open ended; my ignorance precludes a more coherent question.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I have to agree with you that probably the best thing about Knoppix is it's hardware detection abilities. Hopefullly Klaus' magic in this area will serve as a model for others.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    21
    senorian, can you please specify what problems you have with HD installs. I have several different distros on several different PC's, all with no problems installing or running. The last install was Debian using Klaus's Knoppix, I used the install script and everything set up perfect, as long as I log in as root (I have to change the language settings ) If you can provide to problem, I'm sure the solution can also be provided.

  6. #6
    guest
    Guest

    overview

    Very many thanks for your offer.
    I have the 10.31.02 release and I am waiting for a supplier to send me the 01.01.03 release.
    I will, if I may, defer your offer of help untill I have tried this release.
    I fear that I may have so many questions that I will outwear my welcome!
    Thanks again

  7. #7
    guest
    Guest

    overview

    forum would not accept my post as senorian as I am posting from the knoppix cd and I registered with Windows

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix overview
    By pulsar in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 10:30 PM
  2. dsl volume overview
    By user unknown in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 03:59 AM
  3. Wanted: mobo recommendation
    By rickenbacherus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 03:32 PM
  4. Cd Label Wanted
    By completenewbie in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2003, 06:06 PM
  5. Overview of Knoppix - Linux Newbie
    By Van Zan in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 05:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



B85M-G Motherboard Intel Core i7-4770 CPU LGA1150 mATX 4 DIMM IO Shield picture

B85M-G Motherboard Intel Core i7-4770 CPU LGA1150 mATX 4 DIMM IO Shield

$75.96