I second the motion! I too would find this very useful. How about a cheat to specify a dummy IP address too? Could these setting then be saved with floppyconfig or persistant home?
Regards,
I think that it would be great to be able to specificy the hostname that will be reqistered with the DHCP server (and, by extension) Dynamic DNS (if it is configured). Right now, the hostname is knoppix. The way our dynamic DNS is set up, conflicts between hosts with the same name result in the second one being incremented with a -<number>.
So the first one to boot is knoppix.dhcp.example.com. The second conflicts so it is incremented as knoppix-1.dhcp.example.com and so on down the line.
I have handed out so many knoppix discs and our DHCP leases are so long on campus that this is beginning to become a problem.
If I just had the ability to pass the name that I would like to be registered during a bootup cheatcode, I could differentiate my system (so that I can find it when it is in server mode) more easily.
So, Klaus (and everyone else) what do you think?
thanks.
I second the motion! I too would find this very useful. How about a cheat to specify a dummy IP address too? Could these setting then be saved with floppyconfig or persistant home?
Regards,
That is already possible. If zou sue persistent home/config zou an do this.Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
cu
Fabian
Thats a great idea:Originally Posted by cascadefx
And its easy to do, in knoppix-autoconfig:
-hostname Knoppix
+HOSTNAME=getbootparam hostname
+if [ -n "$HOSTNAME" ]
+then
+ echo "$HOSTNAME" > /etc/hostname
+ hostname $HOSTNAME
+else
+ hostname Knoppix
+fi
In Pseudo-Diff-Format...
cu
Fabian
Thanks Fabian.Originally Posted by Fabianx
I will try this out, but a cheatcode would be so much better. It makes the straight CD MUCH more flexible.
hi, i can change the hostname after booting by 'hostname whatever' as root, but it is not saved in my persistent home dir on /hda1.
i also changed hostname in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. that is saved after a reboot, but hostname always stays Knoppix?
i also edited /etc/hostname which is retained through a reboot, but hostname is always Knoppix?
I treid that but it wound up having no hostanme at all, guess the code needs something about checking whether a hostname cheatcode has been entered??
Here is a version that takes advantage of the existing functions in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to do the work and will function as a cheatcode.
IN
/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
CHANGE
# Set hostname
hostname Knoppix
TO
### hostname
# Allow hostname specification via commandline. The default hostname
# will be overridden via "hostname=Knoppix" boot commandline
HOSTNAME="$(getbootparam hostanme 2>/dev/null)"
[ -n "$HOSTNAME" ] || HOSTNAME="Knoppix"
Who feels like testing a remaster?
Its not necessary to remaster. It should be enough to put this code+some additions into a knoppix.sh, as its sourced by knoppix-autoconfig so functions like getbootparam are available ...Originally Posted by jmcglash
cu
Fabian
Just how does this code read "getbootparam"? If I put this in knoppix.sh, will I get a prompt to enter the hostname or do I use some sort of cheatcode at bootup?
BTW, what if I want to set the hostname permanently, can I just specify hostname="alphaCentauri"?
TIA,

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00
32GB KIT SAMSUNG M393A2K43CB2-CVFC0 PC4-2933Y-RE2-12-DC1/MH1 RDIMM ECC 16GBX2
$195.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
*LOT OF 4* 32GB SK Hynix HMA84GR7MFR4N-TF DDR4-2133 ECC RDIMM PC4-17000 2Rx4
$674.99
HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$189.99
Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$378.00