Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: temporarily stop xserver from loading

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4

    temporarily stop xserver from loading

    Hi,

    How do I temporarily stop xserver from loading at boot? I want to install nvidia drivers and such. I've found some posts addressing the graphics drivers, but I can't figure out how to stop xserver. I'm new to Linux so please don't assume I know anything.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    If you're trying to install drivers then I presume you installed Knoppix to your hard drive. If you're using LILO then just hit the TAB key at the LILO prompt and enter Linux single. You can also kill the xserver after it boots with CTRL+ALT+BKSPC

    I have to ask tho- why is it necessary to stop the xserver to install drivers?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4
    When I try and sh the nvidia driver, I get an error message saying that xserver must be stopped first. I already tried hitting CTRL+ALT+BKSPC, xserver stops for a second and then restarts. It logs me out and then the login manager appears.

    You know, you might be right though, maybe I am doing something wrong. In all of the other posts I've seen, nobody talks about stopping xserver. But maybe they assume thats so easy to do they don't mention it.

    I'll try hitting TAB at the Lilo prompt.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    try starting up with this command:

    knoppix 2 ( plus any other necessary boot options)

    that will start up without starting the X server

    HTH

    ~rock

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4
    Okay, I hit tab and then typed in Linux single at the Lilo prompt. That booted me to a prompt without starting X. Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. need to stop a module from loading using a text editor?????
    By voldemort in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 11:36 AM
  2. Turning Xserver on and off?
    By Juggerboo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 02:30 PM
  3. Cannot restart xserver
    By debi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 08:37 PM
  4. Stop agpgart from loading
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 03:44 PM
  5. No suitable Xserver
    By ksskruthic in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



FREE S&H - Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3x 15.3

FREE S&H - Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3x 15.3" WUXGA Touch Snapdragon X X1 16GB 256GB

$325.00



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader

$571.00



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36