If you want the NIC to work then you have no choice Nvidia will not allow anything but closed drivers and even then there are restrictions on how they can be distributed.Originally Posted by earl92
Hi there,
I just downloaded Overclockix and was wondering what driver is used for the onboard nic (nvidia) when booted from cd. I also performed an install (not meant booting from hd, but using knx-hdinstall) and noticed the non-gpl nvidia driver being loaded. What is the difference between these two. I don't want to use the non-gpl nvidia driver. Is there any other way to get this nic working?
Thanks in advance.
If you want the NIC to work then you have no choice Nvidia will not allow anything but closed drivers and even then there are restrictions on how they can be distributed.Originally Posted by earl92
I see....
When I run lsmod after booting from cd there's no nvnet (I assume for the onboard nvidia stuff) module in memory, but the network interface (E-tech router/adsl modem through nvidia nic) is fully operational. After the install I notice these nvidia drivers being loaded (tainting kernel...). This confuses me.
I'm curious wether these modules used to fire up my network are the same, and why isn't nvnet loaded when I boot from cd.
By the way I consider myself to be linux-newbie
TIA.
Not sure what I can offer here... Is it working or isn't it? Can you get online? For the CD, it should get identified and loaded by the detection scripts. I haven't done a hdd install yet, so maybe you have to set it to load manually???
I've had a few reports of trouble from asus-users. Havn't had a chance to test the CD on my epox or my own asus yet...
At some risk I included the driver, I compiled it from source and didn't modify it in any way... other than the fact the CD is compressed and if you get technical that can breach the license, and yet nvidia has told someone else who remastered using nvnet that it was ok....
Sorry, I forgot to mention, both options (boot from cd/install and run from hd) work perfectly and allow me to browse the internet. So this isn't the issue. I only had some difficulty with the nvidia nic license.
When I run Overclockix from hd (installed, not copied!) lsmod lists all loaded modules including the nvnet module. When I boot from cd lsmod does'nt show nvnet.
As you explained this module is compiled into the kernel from source. That would explain it all.
Thanks for your reply an keep up the good work.
Just so you know....
I made a new overclockix iso. It has mozilla-firebird, xcdroast, mplayer, ogle, and openoffice 1.1. However I ran into some problem with the kmenu this time around, and haven't gotten these programs to be accessible via kmenu. Fluxbox and icewm menus work fine though. And you can launch those programs from the command-line easily enough.
I'm hoping to find a solution to this minor issue soon. Just check http://overclockix.octeams.com for updates. I try to wirte a brief description of the different builds available, and will start including the date of each build to make things easier to keep track of.

G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver
$299.99
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99
EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19
Dell PERC H755 3KDWX 8GB 12Gb SAS RAID Controller With Battery & Cables
$949.99
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00
Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204
$24.97