-
Senior Member
registered user
Several apt-get questions
Hi,
I have Knoppix 06/06/03 installed on my HD.
I promise I've read the tutorial and HOWTO, but
still apt-get is giving me headaches. Judging
from the amount of posts dedicated to this
very subject on this site, it looks like I
am in good company! Rather than flooding the
board with different smaller questions, I
thought I'd regroup them here.
[1] I've been able to install small, mostly
stand-alone packages like pdksh, aptitude, ispell
or synaptic. But things get much more confusing
for less trivial stuff - say anything KDE-related.
Eg, for quanta or kscreensaver, I get either
a notice that the package looks broken, that
it depends on this or that which is not going to
be installed, or that it wants to upgrade libraries
as vital as libc6 or libstdc++5 or even seemingly
completely unrelated subsystems. I understand this
is probably a consequence of the bleedind-edge
nature of this debian mutant into which Klaus has
expertly mixed all the available released packages.
Still, if somebody has important general guidelines
to provide to ease upgrading, I'd be grateful to
hear it. More specific questions follow:
[2] other posts tell horror stories about using
"apt-get dist-upgrade". Is "upgrade" any safer?
Reading the manpage leaves me under the opposite
impressin. Hmm... am I right in assuming "upgrade"
will try to upgrade individual packages to the latest
level available within their installed release (stable,
testing, instable), whereas "dist-upgrade" tries to move
everything to the default release (hence testing with
the default knoppix apt.conf) ?
[3] what's the safest way to upgrade to kde 3.1.3?
Does it entail upgrading libc/libstdc++ and has it
broken anyone's system?
[4] what's the safest way to install gnome 2.2?
Alongside a working KDE, that is! I remember reading
posts by KK swearing it had become impossible to have
both GUI frameworks working together (at least after
the initial KDE 3.1.2 release and given the CD space
constraints). At the lower levels they have to rely
on system libs where it's easy to foresee conflicting
requirements...
[5] synaptic tells me it cannot open the stock sources.list
If I replace this file with a simpler one which just
contains non-source packages from a mirror nearby, all is
fine. If I simply remove the commented lines from the default
knoppix sources.list, all looks good as well - what gives?
Of course no one is expected to have all the answers,
so please contribute what you can. Thanks in advance.
Similar Threads
-
By Nikolay in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-07-2005, 05:19 PM
-
By ichi in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-17-2004, 11:58 PM
-
By tycapel7 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-25-2004, 07:42 AM
-
By Liquidant in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 07:28 PM
-
By jshah329 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive
$53.99

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500 GB SATA III 3.5 in Hard Drive
$16.99

1TB Internal Hard Drive 3.5 HDD SATA 64MB Cache Brand New Sealed PC Mac Storage
$60.00

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99