-
WPC11 ver4 using wep
In my hunt for info about this card I came across a very helpfull forum on www.linuxquestions.org. It took a while to get right but here is the short version of what I did to get the card working.
First I use the WPC11 ver 4 card (bought the card from WallyWorld on sale) on an HP N5440 laptop, so your experience may be a little different from mine. Secondly I have used the card running from the Knoppix live CD 7-26.
Now the config. stuff. This is assuming you have preconfigured your WAP using WEP. I insert the card before I boot because its autodetected. The I downloaded the latest driver from
HERE (I used the Suse version of the driver, some other people have had trouble with it but it works fine for me)
After downloading the driver I extracted everything into the /tmp directory from the Knoppix home directory. Then I edited the the begining of the make file so that is matches the kernel version. It looks like this.
VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 20
EXTRAVERSION = -xfs
KERNELRELEASE=$(VERSION).$(PATCHLEVEL).$(SUBLEVEL) $(EXTRAVERSION)
INCLUDEPATH=-I /usr/src/linux/include/
After editing the make file I edited line 128 in the r8180_type.h file to look like this
/*================================================= ====================================
type definition.
================================================== ===================================*/
typedef struct timer_list timer_t;
After editing the two files I created my own WLAN script using kwrite. It looks like this. (replace the x's with the hex version of your WEP key)
#!/bin/sh
NETWORK_NAME=dewwifi
WEP_KEY=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IP_ADDR=192.168.1.180
IP_MASK=255.255.255.0
IP_GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
/sbin/insmod rtl8180_24x.o
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para ssid2scan=$NETWORK_NAME
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para networktype=infra
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para authtype=sharedkey
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para wepmode=wep104
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para wepdkeyid=0
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para wepkey104_1=$WEP_KEY
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 enable
/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 $IP_ADDR netmask $IP_MASK
/sbin/route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw $IP_GATEWAY
Basiclly I opened kwrite and pasted the info with my WEP key replacing the "x's" and saved the file wifi.sh in the tmp directory.
Now I open the Konsole window type su to become root and enter the tmp directory and run make. Then i run the wifi script by typing "sh wifi.sh".
The card should be active now but at this point the IP address has been staticly assigned. If you set your WAP to have static addresses you should be fine. But if your using DHCP you have to use netcardconfig, chose the wlan0 card and say yes to the DHCP broad cast.
This was extremely long but I hope it helps.
Dewayne
[/url]
Similar Threads
-
By m0s5h in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 01:30 AM
-
By PAlvarez in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-02-2004, 11:47 PM
-
By cyclops214 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-17-2004, 03:57 PM
-
By cgoodier in forum Networking
Replies: 11
Last Post: 10-13-2003, 01:07 AM
-
By Gulliver in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-23-2003, 07:50 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

10 Count 64GB Transcend JetFlash 700 USB3.1 (Gen 1) Flash Drive Black
$79.87

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00