Quote Originally Posted by PiepScuim
Hi,

I don't know if there is already a similar linux project going, but why not a 'Media Center' similar to MS Media Center Edition or software like 'ShowShifter'?
Never heard of either of those myself

A small (noiseless) box which enables you to record you favourite programs, watch your DivX movies on your TV, listen to your mp3 collection...

I'm not sure if Knoppix is the best distribution to do this, but it has a great hardware detection and combined with the hd_install it can be very usefull.

Has anyone tried to create such a system?

I think ideas from other systems can be usefull to (e.g. Xbox-linux for the on screen keyboard)

Would anyone be intrested in this system?
There are already several projects like this. Some people I know use ssh to control the box. They rip .oggs, play DivX movies, record tv programs and just about anything else you can think of all without signing any silly Microshaft licensing agreement. Have a look at freevo or mythtv. Here's an entire "how-to" on a set top box.