Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Add ~50MB compressed files to KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305

    Add ~50MB compressed files to KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    I desire to add ~50mb of compressed apps to Knoppix3.8CeBit KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.

    I do not want to run a CD burn on the result (Too large for CD) but will run it on DVD.

    The .iso to be developed will use the present contents of KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX with ~50MB added.

    The burn will be made with a concatenated process using a "split" .iso format.

    The details I need are the steps I need to produce just the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file with the added 50MB of compressed files.

    The files are available with apt-get but require compression. I assume that all files in KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX have to be compressed from uncompressed state as a single file. I may be wrong on that point.

    I hesitate to try the existing procedures since they are all based on holding the size to CD limits and performing steps which may not be necessary.

    The purpose is to test the performance of the "split" .iso methodology with a minimal addition of 50MB compressed apps. The possible size of added apps is over 3GB.

    Not having done a complete remaster, I am unsure of what steps are needed to do this KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX addition.


  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Looking Glass
    Posts
    22
    Steps are kinda all in there, if not explained, the only thing that constrains to CD size is the step that tells you not to install so much crap, can't be that hard to ignore that..

    The thing with the cloop is that it's an iso9660 file system thats compressed, I don't know if one can just add to it.

    There, I tried

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    doctor;

    Its always good to get advice from a physician when you have troubles.

    This guy called his Doc and reported that he was having serious memory problems. The doc asked him when he first noticed the problem. The man replied...what problem?

    I have a memory problem Doctor, but its in my computer...limits to 3GB!

    I have fought my way thru to establish a way to generate a test .iso and I describe it in detail in the DVD forum post by rabinhood "my iso is too big".

    I had limited success with this first attempt. The "split" of the Kernel3.8 as it stands works well. The added apps may have messed with my display params.

    I will have to try other non-display apps. The apps I selected worked just fine in Unionfs downloads into Kernel3.8 boots.

Similar Threads

  1. KNOPPIX with 2 compressed filesystems?
    By your_breakfast in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 06:18 AM
  2. Totally baffled with compressed Knoppix and ISO Knoppix
    By Ewen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 01:15 PM
  3. What compressed files have to needed code to compile
    By dubayou in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 08:16 AM
  4. Getting compressed Knoppix onto HD & boot from HD w/o Fl
    By JechiD in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:19 AM
  5. Using Knoppix with a non compressed fs
    By SillyFly in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 09:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage GF2MX40064SAGP PNY GeForce-2 MX400 64MB VGA/ AGP Video Graphics Card picture

Vintage GF2MX40064SAGP PNY GeForce-2 MX400 64MB VGA/ AGP Video Graphics Card

$79.98



Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 5.25

Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 5.25" Floppy Disk Lot of 9 Single Sided Used

$49.99



Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA

$139.99



HP 5060-8359 8K solid state semiconducter memory HP 2100/1000 Vintage 1974 picture

HP 5060-8359 8K solid state semiconducter memory HP 2100/1000 Vintage 1974

$135.36



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72