Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: [Help please] Installing Knoppix on Windows XP system

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3

    [Help please] Installing Knoppix on Windows XP system

    A question about at which point I should start.

    Current situation...
    - XP Home Edition (up-to-date)
    - One (1) NTFS HDD 80 Gb
    - E:drive with CD R/W,
    - D:drive with DVD R
    - Booting Knoppix from E: works just fine, although the fact that I have (just?) one processor is reported as an error

    Desired situation
    - Dual Boot
    - XP preferred OS
    - 20Gb partition for Linux.
    (In this I will install Tomcat, JBoss and a database most likely MySQL or Oracle 9i for J2EE compliant web application -deployment-)
    - Performance is not an issue, it's the system for new release tests, etc.

    I have no knowledge about physical HDD, exact differences between FAT16, FAT32. NTFS, more? I am used to work with operational unix systems. I have worked with a dual boot Windows2k, SuSe 7.1system a while back. I remember that I could read my Windows files from within SuSe. I have installed Oracle 9i on that system. The unix sysadmin prepared this system for me.

    Now I have to do the job by myself. I do NOT know HOW-TO
    - split 80Gb NTFS -> 60Gb NTFS + 20Gb FAT32
    (I assume Unix does NOT work on NTFS)
    For software I have the new PowerQuest Partition Magic 8, correct choice? Haven't got a clue how it works though. It's still in the box.

    I am looking for pointers, links to HOW-TO pages. Reports from people who went to the same process. I know things can go wrong real bad.

    Anyone knows if System Recovery on Windows XP works in this kind of drastic system changes?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Kind Regards,
    jCp

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: [Help please] Installing Knoppix on Windows XP system

    Quote Originally Posted by jimcp
    A question about at which point I should start.

    Current situation...
    - XP Home Edition (up-to-date)
    - One (1) NTFS HDD 80 Gb
    - E:drive with CD R/W,
    - D:drive with DVD R
    - Booting Knoppix from E: works just fine, although the fact that I have (just?) one processor is reported as an error
    boot: knoppix lang=us nosmp

    Desired situation
    - Dual Boot
    - XP preferred OS
    - 20Gb partition for Linux.
    (In this I will install Tomcat, JBoss and a database most likely MySQL or Oracle 9i for J2EE compliant web application -deployment-)
    - Performance is not an issue, it's the system for new release tests, etc.

    I have no knowledge about physical HDD, exact differences between FAT16, FAT32. NTFS, more? I am used to work with operational unix systems. I have worked with a dual boot Windows2k, SuSe 7.1system a while back. I remember that I could read my Windows files from within SuSe. I have installed Oracle 9i on that system. The unix sysadmin prepared this system for me.

    Now I have to do the job by myself. I do NOT know HOW-TO
    - split 80Gb NTFS -> 60Gb NTFS + 20Gb FAT32
    (I assume Unix does NOT work on NTFS)
    For software I have the new PowerQuest Partition Magic 8, correct choice? Haven't got a clue how it works though. It's still in the box.

    I am looking for pointers, links to HOW-TO pages. Reports from people who went to the same process. I know things can go wrong real bad.

    Anyone knows if System Recovery on Windows XP works in this kind of drastic system changes?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Kind Regards,
    jCp
    I would suggest this:

    1)Use an open source app like Mondo to make a copy of your existing installation. You can restore it exactly as it is in the event that gets hosed.

    2)Leave partition magic in the box for now. Boot knoppix, and sudo qtparted. There may be some issues resizing NTFS. IT seems to be a common problem (don't know myself). FWIW - I have also heard several stories about partition magic hosing some drives.

    3)Resize your NTFS partition. With the remainig 20G I personally would make three partitions for Linux: 3500 MB / (root) -ext3 filesystem
    7500GB /home partition -ext3 filesystem
    1GB /swap (not essential but nice to have),
    8G (shared between OS's) -FAT32 filesystem

    There's really no right or wrong way to partition a drive. You're just dividing it into smaller sized drives (virtually speaking). You should do whatever works best for you.

    After you get your NTFS partition resized, make the new partitions according to predetermined sizes. When you do an installation of Knoppix with sudo knoppix-installer you will be allowed to specify which partition to use for /root and /swap. It will also set up dual boot for you. Just be sure to answer 'yes' to "Install LILO to MBR?"
    After installation you can copy your /home directory to the partition that you created for it. (There is a how-to) Hopefully this feature will soon be implemented in the install script. Here's some info about partitions and partitioning.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3

    Summarizing...

    Some fast reply! Thanks. (Oracle would call this Gold Support.) I don't care how I reach my destination as long as I get there in a reasonable time with as few accidents as possible during the journey.

    I understand it as follows:
    * backup with Mondo. (If it does what I think it does then that alone would be a =great= find. I am not happy -at all- with my current recovery procedure. All these windows backup and recovery 'tools' assume you will be able to start the tool. It's the same as leaving your recovery how-to docs on the system.
    Step 1) Download Mondo. Install. And...test! Scary, but fun.

    * You write
    Boot knoppix, and sudo qtparted. There may be some issues resizing NTFS. IT seems to be a common problem (don't know myself). FWIW - I have also heard several stories about partition magic hosing some drives.
    Do you mean boot it like I have done before, just by inserting the CD? It seems you are unsure about this procedure. PM 8has millions of users. It's commercial and supported. The w2k / SuSe setup has been done with PM release 7. I want to keep it a Windows system. I would not be happy with Linux dependencies. I'll investigate a little bit futher here.

    * The filesystems you write
    7500GB /home partition -ext3 filesystem
    I particularly like this step! As agreed we keep the utility you send me through pm a secret.

    I have some work to do hey? I feel much better but still not 100%. The ideal response would be: I have it running on XP, this is how I did it.
    - 1
    - 2
    -
    - N

    Thank you very much for your help,
    Jim

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Summarizing...

    Quote Originally Posted by jimcp
    Some fast reply! Thanks. (Oracle would call this Gold Support.) I don't care how I reach my destination as long as I get there in a reasonable time with as few accidents as possible during the journey.

    I understand it as follows:
    * backup with Mondo. (If it does what I think it does then that alone would be a =great= find. I am not happy -at all- with my current recovery procedure. All these windows backup and recovery 'tools' assume you will be able to start the tool. It's the same as leaving your recovery how-to docs on the system.
    Step 1) Download Mondo. Install. And...test! Scary, but fun.
    Mondo is already on the Knoppix cd.

    * You write
    Boot knoppix, and sudo qtparted. There may be some issues resizing NTFS. IT seems to be a common problem (don't know myself). FWIW - I have also heard several stories about partition magic hosing some drives.
    Do you mean boot it like I have done before, just by inserting the CD? It seems you are unsure about this procedure. PM 8has millions of users. It's commercial and supported.
    Hmm- the same is true of windows - millions of users and supported and yet which OS is it that has more holes than a bullet riddled tin can? Oh yeah........not LInux.

    The w2k / SuSe setup has been done with PM release 7. I want to keep it a Windows system. I would not be happy with Linux dependencies. I'll investigate a little bit futher here.
    I wasn't suggesting anything to the contrary- you can still boot windows just fine.
    I'm not unsure of how to run qtparted just unsure of its ability to resize NTFS.

    I have some work to do hey? I feel much better but still not 100%. The ideal response would be: I have it running on XP, this is how I did it.
    - 1
    - 2
    -
    - N

    Thank you very much for your help,
    Jim
    Well.........you won't get that kind of response from me! Plain and simple- wimpdoze has nothing to offer me. I do however multi-boot 2,3 or more Linux distros regularly. I'd suggest perhaps getting on irc.freenode.net #knoppix and talking to some people there who have the (mis)fortune of dual booting w/ XP.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3

    Mondo

    Hi,

    Mondo is super! It's embarrassing that I didn't know about this tool. I would have suggested Symantec tools.

    <OFF TOPIC>
    For Java development I will go Open Source only. Netbeans is slowly becoming a mature IDE and the Java VM is getting faster and less buggy with every release. If I find a Java replacement for a Windows program I am using I replace it. It's nice to be able to look in the sources of your programs.
    </OFF TOPIC>

    I feel much more relaxed with your proposed solution now that you added your comments. English is not my native language (I assume people see this right away but in e-mail people tend to care less about errors in your writing. I do believe that e-mail has a lot of noise, add the noise the technical jargon adds and the language barrier of course. At least some information gets lost.

    I didn't mean that I had doubts about your knowledge in any way, just that this whole operation is rather important for me. Upgrading Java froim 1.4.1_02 amd Netbeans form 3.4.1 to 3.5 with a so called co-bundle package ruined about everything I had installed. The netbeans userlists are not particularly friendly. It took me three days of 18 to 20 hours to do this upgrade. I learned many lessons from it.

    I don't expect a "smooth" Knoppix install (although I was --very-- surprised how well it booted and recognized everything) but this time I will be much better prepared. I hope for no reason at all.

    Thanks again for your support.

Similar Threads

  1. Windows XP Corrupted my File System, Now What?!
    By apoc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 04:31 AM
  2. Installing Knoppix under FAT32 file system ?
    By unisis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 09:32 AM
  3. Knoppix Live CD-Entire windows system backup to DVD via USB
    By mconzo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
  4. Installing Knoppix 3.6 on ancient system problem.
    By hochl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 11:17 PM
  5. Copying windows System file
    By TMcGrath in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN picture

Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN

$55.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3

$59.99