-
[Help please] Installing Knoppix on Windows XP system
A question about at which point I should start.
Current situation...
- XP Home Edition (up-to-date)
- One (1) NTFS HDD 80 Gb
- E:drive with CD R/W,
- D:drive with DVD R
- Booting Knoppix from E: works just fine, although the fact that I have (just?) one processor is reported as an error
Desired situation
- Dual Boot
- XP preferred OS
- 20Gb partition for Linux.
(In this I will install Tomcat, JBoss and a database most likely MySQL or Oracle 9i for J2EE compliant web application -deployment-)
- Performance is not an issue, it's the system for new release tests, etc.
I have no knowledge about physical HDD, exact differences between FAT16, FAT32. NTFS, more? I am used to work with operational unix systems. I have worked with a dual boot Windows2k, SuSe 7.1system a while back. I remember that I could read my Windows files from within SuSe. I have installed Oracle 9i on that system. The unix sysadmin prepared this system for me.
Now I have to do the job by myself. I do NOT know HOW-TO
- split 80Gb NTFS -> 60Gb NTFS + 20Gb FAT32
(I assume Unix does NOT work on NTFS)
For software I have the new PowerQuest Partition Magic 8, correct choice? Haven't got a clue how it works though. It's still in the box.
I am looking for pointers, links to HOW-TO pages. Reports from people who went to the same process. I know things can go wrong real bad.
Anyone knows if System Recovery on Windows XP works in this kind of drastic system changes?
Any help is appreciated.
Kind Regards,
jCp
Similar Threads
-
By apoc in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-27-2005, 04:31 AM
-
By unisis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-03-2005, 09:32 AM
-
By mconzo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
-
By hochl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-31-2004, 11:17 PM
-
By TMcGrath in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00

Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD
$199.00

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99