Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: knoppix-installer on laptop without floppy drive ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3

    knoppix-installer on laptop without floppy drive ?

    I can't seem to get the new script working on a Compaq Armada 7400 laptop which does not have a floppy....it gets to the point where it tries to create the boot disk and mount the floppy and fails everytime. I tried saving the settings using the script menu and then editing the config file and adding Set BOOT_FLOPPY="no" but I can't figure how to get the installer to call this config file.

    Sorry if this is a really simple thing, but I'm fairly new to Linux.

    Thanks,


    Heath

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    10
    There is a "Load Confing" option on the menu. Did you try using that to load your config file?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New York City, USA
    Posts
    2
    heres a little help from one noob to another (im assuming your new).

    Try deleting whatevers on your partition/hard drive that you want to use Knoppix on. then goto this link: http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/debian-knoppix.html and follow those instruction. I used it on my laptop (Ashton Digital passport 2100) that has no floppy drive just DVD/CDRW drive and it worked fine. I had winxp pro on my system so I had to use partition magic to create a swap partition for linux and a logical linux partition for knoppix. When i followed those instructions, knoppix installed LILO and now I have 2 OSes in one system. Now I don't need any floppy disk because LILO takes care of the booting operation and lets me select which OS i want to start.

    anyway hope any info helped.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    I managed to use the script to create a config file and save it in the root directory but I wasn't able to edit the config file from the root console to change the option to NO for the floppy. The config file is just a text file, but I could not seem to edit it from the root console ??

Similar Threads

  1. booting knoppix on laptop with no hard drive
    By neamcd in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 05:30 PM
  2. Innstalling Knoppix to hdd without having a floppy drive..
    By brumlefar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 03:34 AM
  3. boot from usb hard drive on laptop with no floppy
    By holyboy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 03:45 PM
  4. About floppy drive on Knoppix CD version
    By leolaw in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2003, 06:07 AM
  5. Knoppix on C: Drive, boot from floppy
    By boehmb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2003, 02:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$537.49



Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$199.00



Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) - picture

Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -

$60.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30