-
wireless Ad-hoc, 2 IBM Thinkpads, Orinoco Gold
Hi,
I am desperate.
I tried to get a wireless Ad-Hoc connection with WinXP sp1 and my two laptops for 2 days now. It did not work. So I switchet to knoppix. Any better here either. I searched for all the information I could find on the Internet and this board. I configured my Orinoco Gold cards with wlcarconfig, asigned static ips, checked the signals with wavemon. The cards keep sending signals (tx in wavemon) but there is no rx. They keep blinking, it makes me real nervous.
So I think the cards seem to work correctly, but they do not connect. What in hell am I doing wrong? Does anybody have a solution for my problem?
I really need this wireless connection.
Thanks for every response, fluppel
-
Can you give the results of running the following commands:
ifconfig -a
iwconfig
lsmod
-
Junior Member
registered user
I am running a Thinkpad 380XD with a Dell Truemobile 1150 wlan card (its a rebadged Orinoco Gold).
All I can get it to do is flash its lights. the Knoppix (and Kanotix too) wlancard config utils says "No Card Detected", usually (I was able to get it to go through after running wlan-ng from /etc/pcmcia/). On boot it modprobes orinoco, orinoco_cs and hermes. lsmod shows those as being in. Ifconfig -a shows eth0 as being there with no IP, no packets sent or recieved (or even dropped) but a slew of errors under tx. iwconfig shows it as being there, seemingly ok except the access point being 44:44:44:44:44:44 (which seems odd to me). I'd copy and paste it, but I'm not on that machine now (since that one doesnt have net or lan access currently.
-
Check lsmod again and see if there is a 1 next to orinoco_cs. Also, what are the errors under tx. And, under iwconfig does it show your card in managed mode?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Its in managed mode, and orinoco_cs has a 1. As far as the errors, I have no clue. Relative Linux newbie with zero wlan experience. when I get home and I plug into my home network, I'll post the logs I have of iwconfig, ifconfig, lsmod, and lspci (borrowing a computer at the moment since I am not near where I live, was out of town for a court hearing).
-
Junior Member
registered user
-
It looks like you have your card properly configured but it's not seeing your AP, and your laptop is not getting a dhcp assigned IP address.
Do you have a router/AP and is it configured for dhcp? If not, what kind of setup do you have.
-
One more thing, it looks like you are using channel 12. Did you buy this card outside the US? You may have to change that if it's not compatible with your AP.
-
Forget that last post. I'm looking at the wrong table.
Sorry.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Its a router/AP, and as far as dhcp config, I am not sure. Its not my AP.
As far as specs, its a Netgear MR814 v2 router.
Similar Threads
-
By Jberryman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-03-2005, 12:48 PM
-
By Haakneus in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-18-2004, 09:19 PM
-
By Kumagoro in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-23-2004, 08:10 PM
-
By xenoxaos in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:54 PM
-
By tslewe in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM
$199.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY
$1200.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Micron MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2E1TI 64GB DDR4-3200AA-RB4-12 RDIMM Memory Module
$650.00

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT
$9.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50