Can you give the results of running the following commands:
ifconfig -a
iwconfig
lsmod
Hi,
I am desperate.I tried to get a wireless Ad-Hoc connection with WinXP sp1 and my two laptops for 2 days now. It did not work. So I switchet to knoppix. Any better here either. I searched for all the information I could find on the Internet and this board. I configured my Orinoco Gold cards with wlcarconfig, asigned static ips, checked the signals with wavemon. The cards keep sending signals (tx in wavemon) but there is no rx. They keep blinking, it makes me real nervous.
So I think the cards seem to work correctly, but they do not connect. What in hell am I doing wrong? Does anybody have a solution for my problem?I really need this wireless connection.
Thanks for every response, fluppel
Can you give the results of running the following commands:
ifconfig -a
iwconfig
lsmod
I am running a Thinkpad 380XD with a Dell Truemobile 1150 wlan card (its a rebadged Orinoco Gold).
All I can get it to do is flash its lights. the Knoppix (and Kanotix too) wlancard config utils says "No Card Detected", usually (I was able to get it to go through after running wlan-ng from /etc/pcmcia/). On boot it modprobes orinoco, orinoco_cs and hermes. lsmod shows those as being in. Ifconfig -a shows eth0 as being there with no IP, no packets sent or recieved (or even dropped) but a slew of errors under tx. iwconfig shows it as being there, seemingly ok except the access point being 44:44:44:44:44:44 (which seems odd to me). I'd copy and paste it, but I'm not on that machine now (since that one doesnt have net or lan access currently.
Check lsmod again and see if there is a 1 next to orinoco_cs. Also, what are the errors under tx. And, under iwconfig does it show your card in managed mode?
Its in managed mode, and orinoco_cs has a 1. As far as the errors, I have no clue. Relative Linux newbie with zero wlan experience. when I get home and I plug into my home network, I'll post the logs I have of iwconfig, ifconfig, lsmod, and lspci (borrowing a computer at the moment since I am not near where I live, was out of town for a court hearing).
These I got from running off cd, cause the version of Knoppix I have puked some error about the drivers being compiled with version 15 while the utility was compiled with version 16.
root@ttyp0[pcmcia]# lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
autofs4 9204 1 (autoclean)
serial 47044 0 (autoclean)
usb-uhci 22672 0 (unused)
usbcore 59788 1 [usb-uhci]
af_packet 14184 2 (autoclean)
orinoco_cs 4756 1
orinoco 39612 0 [orinoco_cs]
hermes 6000 0 [orinoco_cs orinoco]
ds 6452 2 [orinoco_cs]
yenta_socket 10080 2
pcmcia_core 42048 0 [orinoco_cs ds yenta_socket]
apm 10220 2
rtc 7272 0 (autoclean)
cloop 9348 2
root@ttyp0[pcmcia]# ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:2D:A9:B7:A6
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:1101 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2330 (2.2 KiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:3 Base address:0x100
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:76 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:76 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:4824 (4.7 KiB) TX bytes:4824 (4.7 KiB)
root@ttyp0[pcmcia]# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"NETGEAR" Nickname:"HERMES I"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462GHz Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44
Bit Rate:2Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm Sensitivity:1/3
Retry limit:4 RTS thrff Fragment thr
ff
Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX
Power Managementff
Link Quality:0/92 Signal level:134/153 Noise level:134/153
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
It looks like you have your card properly configured but it's not seeing your AP, and your laptop is not getting a dhcp assigned IP address.
Do you have a router/AP and is it configured for dhcp? If not, what kind of setup do you have.
One more thing, it looks like you are using channel 12. Did you buy this card outside the US? You may have to change that if it's not compatible with your AP.
Forget that last post. I'm looking at the wrong table.
Sorry.
Its a router/AP, and as far as dhcp config, I am not sure. Its not my AP.
As far as specs, its a Netgear MR814 v2 router.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00