-
Junior Member
registered user
NVIDIA drivers....
My nvidia driver will not install and/or work.
The folks in the #knoppix channel said I can't just do it with the apt-get stuff. I did try originally, but since I didn't find anyone/anything that told me exactly which bits to install, I couldn't do that.
I've tried all the instructions and scripts I could find, but all of them result in errors insisting I'm using a different compiler than the one that made my kernel. I'm using the stock kernel that came with the knoppix 3.2 (6/6/03). Everyone says to "export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95", and I did but it still says no, "you seem to be trying to build with a compiler other than the one you used for your kernel." If I do it with IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH, then I get it compiled and installed but unresolved symbols when I try to run the module.
What on earth???
What am I supposed to do to make this work?
Does it involve human sacrifice and a full moon??
sl
-
Senior Member
registered user
A search for nvidia here turn up lots of stuff, but this looks especially useful:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=960#3848
Does it involve human sacrifice and a full moon??
No, but it probably won't do any harm, especially if the sacrifice is:
CEO of SCO
Steve Bulmer
Bill Gates 4
-
Junior Member
registered user
no luck. :(
If you follow the link in that set of instructions, you'll find that the .tar.gz file they say to use isn't there. Just NVIDIA*.run. Which doesn't work for me.
If you can FIND the .tar.gz i'll happily install from that, I've done it before under slackware, I just don't know where to get the files anymore.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can get them through Synaptic. There are several choices. You need the kernel stuff and the actual driver.
When I get a moment, I'll try popping the damn thing on!
There's also this (semi automated) script at:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2037#9699
which should do the download for you.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Actually....
Who or what is Synaptic? If it's a site, can you give me a link please??
That script does the same thing. Downloads that dumb NVIDIA*.run file, which does the same thing it's done all along.
That same awfully familiar garish red and blue screen asking if I Accept their conditions, and saying "No kernel interface found, I'll build one" and then saying "can't build one, look at the log for more info".
The log says:
You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with
a compiler different from the one that was used to compile
the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there
are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and
system crashes.
...
^[[1;31m*** Failed cc sanity check. Bailing out! ***
^[[0mmake: *** [gcc-check] Error 1
-> Error.
I'm getting really crabby at this. (be forewarned)
Why am _I_ the only one having this problem? I couldn't have modified my kernel and forgotten about it, I don't even have menuconfig!!
Are we POSITIVE this kernel was compiled with gcc 2.95???
sl
-
Junior Member
registered user
since...
I've added the kernel source and headers now, by the way.
Still same errors.
If I can make it compile at all, I get unresolved symbols, but mostly I can't get it to compile at all.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Synaptic is a neat graphical front end to apt-get.
apt-get install synaptic
and so on.......
For the rest, the thought occurs that (ah, you've had it, too!)
Are we POSITIVE this kernel was compiled with gcc 2.95???
the alternate gcc (and possibly the one used to compile the kernel) may not be 2.95.
But doing a locate gcc throws up
/usr/bin/gcc
/usr/bin/gcc-2.95
/usr/bin/gcc-3.2
hmmm.
Anyone?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Look at the top of the return of dmesg to verify what gcc was used.
-
Junior Member
registered user
okay, what next?
it was gcc 2.95.3. (thanks w.nelson)
So it's definitely not a gcc-mismatch. At least that's something we can now rule out.
So why unresolved symbols when I give it ignore_cc_mismatch? 
s
PS I'll try to get something more specific, it's just not a good time to log outta X.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Here we go...
Okay here we go, hand-typed thru Links to you:
NV: Could not open control device /dev/nvidiactl (No such file or directory).
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Screen(s) found but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal server error:
No screens found.
So I did finally get it installed (not based on anyone's instructions, based on what I remember from my slackware install--it had to be done in two pieces!) .
But I'm still stuck.
What next?
sl
Similar Threads
-
By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
-
By AP81 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-29-2004, 12:34 AM
-
By naventus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
-
By Malo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 03:44 AM
-
By evilgeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00