-
swapping boot partitions
Hello all,
I realized recently that when I installed knoppix it defaulted everything, including the boot stuff to hda3. (I created a 100mg boot partition which is unused, and a 500mg swap partition which is being used). So how do I transfer my boot files to the first partition? I know that I'll have to edit lil.conf to point to hda1 but that's about all I know.
Thanks.
-
This worked for me.
do a su
mount destination by
mount /dev/hdax /mnt/hdax
"x" being the destination partition
cd to current boot directory
cd /boot
copy the folder
cp -Rp * /mnt/hdax
"x" being the destination again
edit fstab
mcedit /etc/fstab
add the line
/dev/hdax /boot auto rw,auto,user,exec 0 0
"x" the destination again
change the line in lilo.conf "/etc/lilo.conf" to
boot=/dev/hdax
that "x" again
run lilo
lilo -C lilo.conf
reboot
i use gag to select the partition i want to boot.
good luck
-
sorry i didn't read your discription carefully
hdax
should be
hda1
hda1 being the new boot folder
-
Thanks greatly. I couldn't ask for a more concise answer 
What did you mean you use gag to select your boot partition?
Thanks again.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: swapping boot partitions
--FYI, 100meg for a /boot partition is way overkill. 8-16Meg should be plenty.

Originally Posted by
ferreter
Hello all,
I realized recently that when I installed knoppix it defaulted everything, including the boot stuff to hda3. (I created a 100mg boot partition which is unused, and a 500mg swap partition which is being used). So how do I transfer my boot files to the first partition? I know that I'll have to edit lil.conf to point to hda1 but that's about all I know.
Thanks.
-

Originally Posted by
ferreter
Thanks greatly. I couldn't ask for a more concise answer
What did you mean you use gag to select your boot partition?
Thanks again.
I have multiple operating systems
eg.
hda1: swap
hda2: windows xp
hda3: linux boot
hda5: linux boot
hda6: linux boot
hda7: knoppix
hda8: yoper
hda9: testing (slackware at the moment)
gag http://gag.sourceforge.net/
is a boot manager that easily lets you select a os to load
check it out. it is very easy to use, edit and config.
by putting lilo in the separate partitions instead the mbr you just config gag to select
hda3 for example and it will load lilo from hda3 and knoppix.
or hda5 to load yoper etc.....
have fun!
jaws75
Similar Threads
-
By masticate in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-01-2005, 04:37 PM
-
By SunnyB in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-31-2004, 02:42 PM
-
By mrmr96 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
-
By speedy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-24-2003, 02:35 AM
-
By stukennedyuk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854
$225.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs
$49.99