Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: swapping boot partitions

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    37

    swapping boot partitions

    Hello all,

    I realized recently that when I installed knoppix it defaulted everything, including the boot stuff to hda3. (I created a 100mg boot partition which is unused, and a 500mg swap partition which is being used). So how do I transfer my boot files to the first partition? I know that I'll have to edit lil.conf to point to hda1 but that's about all I know.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Canada eh!
    Posts
    7
    This worked for me.
    do a su

    mount destination by
    mount /dev/hdax /mnt/hdax
    "x" being the destination partition

    cd to current boot directory
    cd /boot

    copy the folder
    cp -Rp * /mnt/hdax
    "x" being the destination again

    edit fstab
    mcedit /etc/fstab

    add the line
    /dev/hdax /boot auto rw,auto,user,exec 0 0
    "x" the destination again

    change the line in lilo.conf "/etc/lilo.conf" to
    boot=/dev/hdax
    that "x" again

    run lilo
    lilo -C lilo.conf

    reboot
    i use gag to select the partition i want to boot.
    good luck

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Canada eh!
    Posts
    7
    sorry i didn't read your discription carefully

    hdax
    should be
    hda1

    hda1 being the new boot folder

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    37
    Thanks greatly. I couldn't ask for a more concise answer

    What did you mean you use gag to select your boot partition?

    Thanks again.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: swapping boot partitions

    --FYI, 100meg for a /boot partition is way overkill. 8-16Meg should be plenty.

    Quote Originally Posted by ferreter
    Hello all,

    I realized recently that when I installed knoppix it defaulted everything, including the boot stuff to hda3. (I created a 100mg boot partition which is unused, and a 500mg swap partition which is being used). So how do I transfer my boot files to the first partition? I know that I'll have to edit lil.conf to point to hda1 but that's about all I know.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Canada eh!
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by ferreter
    Thanks greatly. I couldn't ask for a more concise answer

    What did you mean you use gag to select your boot partition?


    Thanks again.
    I have multiple operating systems
    eg.
    hda1: swap
    hda2: windows xp
    hda3: linux boot
    hda5: linux boot
    hda6: linux boot
    hda7: knoppix
    hda8: yoper
    hda9: testing (slackware at the moment)

    gag http://gag.sourceforge.net/
    is a boot manager that easily lets you select a os to load
    check it out. it is very easy to use, edit and config.
    by putting lilo in the separate partitions instead the mbr you just config gag to select
    hda3 for example and it will load lilo from hda3 and knoppix.
    or hda5 to load yoper etc.....

    have fun!
    jaws75

Similar Threads

  1. swapping hard disks between 2 boxes
    By masticate in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 04:37 PM
  2. Swapping mouse buttons in x86config-4
    By SunnyB in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 02:42 PM
  3. Swapping CD's under Knoppix
    By mrmr96 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
  4. HD install to partitions (e.g. /boot /usr /home)
    By speedy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2003, 02:35 AM
  5. Swapping video cards, suggestions, thoughts.....
    By stukennedyuk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram picture

Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram

$960.00



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit picture

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit

$199.99



Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM picture

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM

$286.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$189.99



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00