Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: sanity check for custom kernel

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9

    sanity check for custom kernel

    I'm building a custom kernel for a new CD remaster not a HD-Install. I've followed the custom kernel howto, but there's something I'm missing. Here's what I'm doing:

    First, I've dl'ed the 2.4.21 vanilla from kernel.org. I skip the xfs patch, but apply the ntfs and openmosix patches.

    make clean
    make mrproper

    copy the Knoppix 3.2 .config to the new kernel dir then

    make menuconfig

    I enable all openmosix options and leave the rest as is. Save the kernel.

    I apply the knoppix-kernel.patch then:

    make dep
    make modules (read Brothers Karamazov)
    make modules_install
    make bzImage

    So far so good? No errors, no problems. But now some confusion.

    The kernel only needs to be put on the boot.img or does it also need to be copied to /boot/vmlinuz on the compressed fs KNOPPIX? What about System.map? Copy it to /boot before you make the KNOPPIX compressed fs? What about the /usr/src/linux/modules, do they need to be copied out?

    I put the new kernel in both places to be safe (boot.img and /boot before compressing).

    My kernel was larger than the 1.44 MB boot.img could take so I expanded it 2.88MB as follows:

    #make the 2.88 img
    dd if=/dev/zero of=288boot.img bs=512 count=5760
    #loop img
    losetup /dev/loop0 288boot.img
    #format img
    mkfs.vfat /dev/loop0
    #make it bootable
    syslinux -s /dev/loop0
    #mount the bootable img to a boot dir I made
    mount -o loop /dev/loop0 boot/
    #copy all the files from the original
    #boot disk (previously mounted under orig-boot/
    cp orig-boot/* boot/
    #copy the new kernel
    cp bzImage boot/vmlinuz
    #unmount the image
    umount boot/
    #copy the new 2.88 boot.img to the CD fs
    cp 288boot.img /mnt/hda1/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img

    [I didn't copy a new cloop.o to the miniroot.gz modules/ directory or any scsi modules.]

    At last I create a new CD and it refuses to boot at all. SYSLINUX doesn't even start.

    I follow the same process as above (more or less) to create a 1.722 boot floppy with the same new kernel and it let's me boot the CD. SYSLINUX loads and finds the KNOPPIX fs, but then I get the following module errors:

    kernel-module version mismatch cloop.o was compiled for 2.4.21-xfs while this kernel is 2.4.21-openmosix-1

    modprobe error: /lib/modules/2.4.21-openmosix-1/modules.dep does not exist.

    Obviously it is getting this kernel version from the openmosix patch, but where do you modify this to read 2.4.21-xfs?

    Finally, any ideas as to why the CD won't boot with my 2.88MB boot.img on the CD but will try to boot with the 1.722MB floppy?

    Thanks for taking the time to read this novel.

    L.G. Riske

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    it won't work. The /lib/modules/* is only good for the kernel compiled by Klaus, any customized kernel won't like it, even you cheat and change your kernel tag to '2.4.21-xfs' You must do a full HD install and then the remaster from there(or at least expand the compressed image) and build from there.

    It is a myth that one can just replace bzImage(vmlinuz), there is another 30M+ modules that must go hand in hand.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9
    Ahhh. thanks gary. I knew it was something obvious.

    make modules_install populated /lib/modules (like you say, you can't just take a new bzImage and put it on a CD). But all of the modules installed under /lib/modules/2.4.21-openmosix-1

    So if I delete the old modules directory:

    Code:
    rm -rf /lib/modules/2.4.21-xfs
    then move my new modules dir to the old name:

    Code:
    mv /lib/modules/2.4.21-openmosix-1 /lib/modules/2.4.21-xfs
    I'll try it out and let you know. Now the other problem is why my boot.img isn't being read from the CD...

    [edit 9:26] The openmosix-1 reference comes from the kernel Makefile.

    EXTRAVERSION = openmosix-1

Similar Threads

  1. custom kernel placement q- 3.4
    By dkennedy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 02:05 AM
  2. Custom Kernel???
    By ying-yang7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 09:35 AM
  3. Custom kernel ?
    By nizedude in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 08:49 PM
  4. kernel panic with custom kernel
    By cYmen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 10:17 AM
  5. How to check if AGPGART is compiled in the kernel
    By garyng in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 11:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black picture

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black

$429.94



PATRIOT VIPER 32GB (4X8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM MEMORY PV332G160C9QK picture

PATRIOT VIPER 32GB (4X8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM MEMORY PV332G160C9QK

$70.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3 picture

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3

$550.00



LOT OF 4  Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ picture

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ

$469.95