-
Trying to 'build from scratch' as a newbie
Hello all. I am somewhat new to linux, and knoppix certainly is helping 
I recently did a knx-hdinstall of knoppix 3.2 and its running alright, but there is a lot of junk to clean out (I don't need ISDN stuff for example). Tracking it down and avoiding problems is difficult. I was hopeing it might be possible to 'build up' to the components of knoppix that I want, from a vanilla debian install.
My problem is all the tweaks and configuration changes that have gone into the knoppix distribution. I can get a list of installed packages, but there are a lot of them. (dpkg -l gives over 1700). I could go through an install them all on debian, but my system would look almost nothing like the knoppix install I am looking at, simply because of the large amount of custom configuration that has been done.
Is there anywhere that the configuration changes are documented?
Or perhaps some way to compare the default configurations to the knoppix configurations? Is knoppix entirely debian package based?
Or are there apps that have been compiled/installed 'by hand' as it were?
I am trying to save some of the configuration, while ditching other parts. For example the console has a sane text size instead of the horibbly stretched text I get when installing debian default. I have no idea where this configuation option is. I'd like to keep the gui working the same as, as it seems to be running smoothy for me now.
I did consider starting from a smaller distro, but I'd like having a larger set of 'options' to choose from so I don't get stuck.
Is there such a 'config repository' ?
Assuming no, how would I go about recreating something knoppix like from scratch?
Similar Threads
-
By spfitz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-02-2005, 12:15 PM
-
By Tomster in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-18-2004, 12:56 AM
-
By ravindra in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-14-2004, 03:59 PM
-
By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 08:57 PM
-
By bro in forum General Support
Replies: 16
Last Post: 12-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD
$200.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

Samsung One Connect Docking Station SOC8002B Black w/ Cable & Power Cord
$400.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00