-
Senior Member
registered user
Ah, I think I found out why: (google is your friend)
http://www.psg.com/~brian/doc/comms/ppp.htm
--It all depends on who owns the pppd:
' whereis pppd '
pppd: /usr/sbin/pppd /usr/share/man/man8/pppd.8.gz
' ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd '
Code:
-rwxr-x--- 1 root dip 234504 Nov 24 2002 /usr/sbin/pppd*
--I checked my old /etc/group for SuSE and my userid was in groups "dialout" and "modem." So wvdial must have been owned by one of those groups, as well as pppd. I presume you're using dip as your dialout method; I always used kppp at first, then wvdial on-demand (Server does the dialing when it gets a Squid HTTP request) until I got DSL, which uses pppoe.
--Ah, I think I get it now. When I was using dialup, I always started teh internet connection as root, and all other users could access the connection. Are you starting the dialer as the non-root user?

Originally Posted by
bongski55
I found a remedy for my problem. I created a group 'dip' and added that group to my non root user.
Everything is okay now.
Similar Threads
-
By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
-
By ddfire in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-26-2004, 06:41 AM
-
By SunnyB in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
-
By CyberBug84 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-02-2003, 09:14 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$36.99

2xM393A4G40AB3-CWE SAMSUNG 32GB (1X32GB) 1RX4 PC4-3200AA SERVER MEMORY
$690.00

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Kingston ValueRAM 64GB (32GBx2) DDR4 SDRAM Memory Module (KVR32S22D8/32)
$350.00

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98