--How did you create the user, ' useradd ' or ' adduser '?
o Which web browser are they using?
o Check to see if the web browser is trying to access a proxy.
Originally Posted by bongski55
I have already complained about this before but did not get a clear solution. This is getting to be a pain for me!
I just created another user but this new user is unable to browse sites and getting 'unknown host' error messages instead. The non root user(knoppix user) created during hd install works ok. I even tried to make the groups for the new user the same as for the knoppix user but no effect.
Can somebody please teach me how to solve this probelm once and for all?
--How did you create the user, ' useradd ' or ' adduser '?
o Which web browser are they using?
o Check to see if the web browser is trying to access a proxy.
Originally Posted by bongski55
adduserOriginally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
konqueror and/or operao Which web browser are they using?
I don't think it does, I have no problems using the default knoppix user (and the root).o Check to see if the web browser is trying to access a proxy.
--I confess I'm stumped, never ran into that particular error before. Sounds weird.
--Maybe try ' deluser --remove-home USERID ' and add them back in again? Then as root ' cd /home; chown -R USERID.USERID USERID ' to make sure of their file ownership. This is just a shot in the dark, you should back up their home dir before trying this if they have anything to lose.
Originally Posted by bongski55
I found a remedy for my problem. I created a group 'dip' and added that group to my non root user.
Everything is okay now.
Ah, I think I found out why: (google is your friend)
http://www.psg.com/~brian/doc/comms/ppp.htm
--It all depends on who owns the pppd:
' whereis pppd '
pppd: /usr/sbin/pppd /usr/share/man/man8/pppd.8.gz
' ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd '--I checked my old /etc/group for SuSE and my userid was in groups "dialout" and "modem." So wvdial must have been owned by one of those groups, as well as pppd. I presume you're using dip as your dialout method; I always used kppp at first, then wvdial on-demand (Server does the dialing when it gets a Squid HTTP request) until I got DSL, which uses pppoe.Code:-rwxr-x--- 1 root dip 234504 Nov 24 2002 /usr/sbin/pppd*
--Ah, I think I get it now. When I was using dialup, I always started teh internet connection as root, and all other users could access the connection. Are you starting the dialer as the non-root user?
Originally Posted by bongski55
Yes,I dial as non root.

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1690.40
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
HP Spectre x360 15 | Intel i7 | 32GB RAM | 1TB Storage | NVIDIA | Touchscreen
$350.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
BRAND NEW- Samsung 870 EVO Series 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD MZ-77E1T0BW 😍 1 TB
$239.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00