-
minimal Knoppix
Hi all,
Iīm new in Linux world and i have started with KNOPPIX. I have installed it in my computer and i think itīs cool
. I have created some stuff apps and i want to run it in my new board (a VIA EPIA Board)
I would like to install a minimal KNOPPIX (< 25Mb or less, only kernel) in a disk on module. I also want to load a driver (insmod mydriver.o)and my app. directly when i start the system.
How could i do something like this?
Thanks in advance!!
-
Junior Member
registered user
It depends on what app you are running. The app may require certain things to run, like libraries and etc. And if its an app that uses a GUI, forget the 25 mb or less size.
There are a few Linux distros out there that run on a floppy, and serve different purposes such as a firewall and etc.
Let us know what app, and I can guide a little better.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hi !
Please, help me too...
My idea is to remaster a minimal ISO with only xfree86 and fluxbox
Is it possible to do this (quick and easily) from the last Knoppix version?
What packages should I safely remove ?
Any script to help?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
try morphix instead but 25M is a bit hard for X. Just curious, why 25M. I give myself a bit more headroom(in terms of storage) at 128M(very reasonably priced CF) and 185M(the mini-CD).
BTW, to me it is much easier to build from woody debootstrap than from KNOPPIX. I had a bareX like you mentioned in around 250M uncompressed(but latter add more 'essential' stuff) without removing those /usr/doc, /usr/share. Browser is an issue(I think a browser is a must for GUI) as Opera takes 25M(and there is licensing issue for distribution), Firebird/Mozilla about 40M. I used dillo instead but that is very limited and not really usable but a good temp solution for surfing and info lookup while apt-getting the 'real' stuff of a fresh install.
BTW2, should you install fluxbox, first install the 0.14/0.17 from woody/sarge/sid then upgrade to the 0.9x cvs as 0.1x has quite some problems in window handling.
-
Junior Member
registered user
My plan is to burn a mini-cd with Openoffice. A kind of DamnSmall plus OpenOffice and Mozilla. I think it's possible... Or I am wrong ? I need help and opinions
-
Senior Member
registered user
It is possible but how small I don't know. Haven't tried OpenOffice yet, X + Mozilla + Fluxbox with all other unecessary things removed may be around 200-250M uncompressed. 50% compression would give about 100-125M, not exactly small but can be carried around in CF/mini-cd. So unless OO is really big, it may fit into a 185M mini-cd.
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you use KDE, with Koffice and Konqueror, whould that be smaller? Koffice is enough for normal use, as is Konqueror. And the're faster and smaller. But KDE itself is bigger...
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Superstoned
If you use KDE, with Koffice and Konqueror, whould that be smaller? Koffice is enough for normal use, as is Konqueror. And the're faster and smaller. But KDE itself is bigger...
Konqueror alone pull in 70M+ but I managed to have a based KDE(no game, no multi media, no Koffice) between 300-350M. In fact, there is mini-CD based KDE distro(using cloop). Even baseline GNOME 2.2 is possible but again very basic one(just browser, filer and a few things.) but I find KDE to be better in terms of features packed and I don't like anti-alias fonts in GNOME
-
Senior Member
registered user
hmmm, firebird instead of mozilla whould save some megs too?
although I still prefer KDE
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Superstoned
hmmm, firebird instead of mozilla whould save some megs too?
although I still prefer KDE

My experience is not noticeable if we are talking about mozilla-browser(including xft, ssl) vs firebird. Within a few M(out of 40+). But I prefer mozilla as it has a language pack which I can add to change the menu languages as I am a Chinese user, no such thing in firebird.
KDE IMO is still the best in terms of disk space, for so many things packed in so little space(relatively). With KDE, I don't need Mozilla(well in most case) as Konqueror have most of the features. That is a 40M+ saving. The eqivalent of Mozilla + a filer eats up quite some disk space.
Similar Threads
-
By gabdab in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-22-2005, 02:05 PM
-
By ihtiandr in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-14-2005, 08:40 PM
-
By dapissarenko in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-10-2004, 10:43 AM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-26-2003, 08:59 PM
-
By freeballer in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)
$150.00

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00